Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween 2010

Last year we were traveling on Halloween and with Halloween falling on a Sunday this year that’s 2 years we've missed out on trick-or-treating. I'm not a fan of trunk-or-treats I think that trick-or-treating is best experienced running from house to house in your very own neighborhood. It's what I did growing up. However since Halloween fell on a Sunday this year we decided we would celebrate on Saturday at our church trunk-or-treat.

Abigail wore the same witch costume for her third year – guess that’s one advantage of buying a costume several sizes too big.

Carly squeezed into the size 4-6 fairy costume she wore 2 years ago, but opted to not wear the wings this time around.

Jason was “Woody” – we borrowed a cowboy costume from a friend. As we were rushing to get him dressed I taped up the chaps so they wouldn’t drag on the ground. When we got home and took off the tape it tore off all the faux-leather – opps! Guess that wasn’t the best idea.

Katie squeezed into the 3-6 month pumpkin costume that Jason wore as a baby.

It was a fun activity. We had a chili dinner before hand and the kids participated in a little parade while the adults got their trunks ready.

Jason's evening was bitter sweet. We woke him up from his nap and got him dressed up against his will. During the children’s parade he got lost and I found him crying in the arms of a neighbor friend. Then there was a clown walking behind us that completely freaked Jason out (who knew that there really are kids deathly afraid if clowns?) so we had to bow out if the parade early just to get away from the child clown. But once Jason figured out people would throw candy in this little bucket for just saying 3 little words all the trauma of the evening was forgotten.

Immediately after we got home the kids dumped out their candy and started trading. I had some candy left over that we didn’t pass out so I got in on the trading action to score some of my favorites – this year I’m lovin’ the Kit Kats! I also instituted a litter-tax. For every wrapper I find I get to choose a piece of candy from each of the kids. Too bad it’s only happened once – those darn kids are too careful.

Yesterday we spent the evening at Justin’s parents. They live on five acres and don't get any trick-or-treaters. When we got home we found things were still in full swing in our neighborhood. I can't wait til next year when we can do Halloween the good ole-fashioned way.

3 comments:

the Holyoaks said...

Your kids look super cute. I love your litter tax idea. I might have to institute that at our house. I'm excited for Halloween next year too.

Chrystie said...

Your kids look cute, I love the picture of Jason holding up his bucket. Everyone around here just trick-or-treated on Saturday. We didn't get a single one on Sunday, so I have to eat all the candy now.

Camille said...

I agree. Trunk or Treating is just not the same.

Post a Comment