Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Eight Year Gap

I have a sister that has four kids – just like me. To get her four children she was only pregnant for 72 weeks while I had to endure 156 weeks to get mine (that’s an additional YEAR and almost 8 months). You see, her first, second, and third children share the same birthday. She got a 3 for 1 deal.

My sister and I both had our first child when we were 24 years old, her fourth was born when she was just 26 – my fourth was born just shy of my 33rd birthday. (And let me tell you being pregnant and having a baby at 33 was a lot tougher than being pregnant at 24.)

I like to give her a hard time, but to be honest triplets would likely have sent me to the loony bin. Thankfully we have a Heavenly Father that only sends us what we can handle. My sister is superwoman though and besides that she was blessed with the sweetest most well behaved trio.

How these babies could be entering junior high this fall blows my mind!

No doubt there are advantages and disadvantages to both scenarios. I certainly don’t wish for a different scenario than I’ve been blessed with. I LOVE that I still have a chubby baby toddling around the house and if I could freeze time I would – I’m in no hurry to see any of my children grow beyond the stage they are in now.

With that said though my sister does have a few advantages – for example her four children are only 26 months apart so their abilities and interests are pretty similar. This past week she took her four kids to Disneyland on her own. My oldest two are also only 26 months apart, but there is over 8 years between Abigail and Katie. This makes it a little more difficult to find enjoyable activities that appeal to each of our children.

Last night we decided to appeal to the younger kids and went to a nearby Children’s Museum offering free admission. The girls were a bit too old for a lot of the activities, but thankfully they found enjoyment in helping their younger siblings have a great time.


Afterward we redeemed a few free kid’s meals at Red Robin and topped off the evening at Krispy Kreme for a free donut of our choosing – in celebration of National Donut Day. Now that’s an activity that appeals to all ages! Yum, yum!

2 comments:

Ben and Carrie said...

In your sister's defense, she may have only been pregnant for 72 weeks, but however many weeks of that was with the triplets, I'm sure it felt like a million. I can vouch for that since I had twins and the pregnancy was absolutely the longest 8.5 month of my life. And with triplets, I'm sure it was even worse. It may have been shorter, but it was definitely twice as miserable as a single pregnancy... A year and 8 months is longer, though, I get you on that. But I did have to vouch a little for your sister and her shortened pregnancy time. Shorter, yes. More miserable, I'm sure of it. :)

And we LOVE the free Friday day at the Children's museum in Factoria (that is the one you went to, right?) We gave gone a number of times and my kids really enjoy it. And the free part doesn't hurt either. Sounds like all the other free stuff was great too- you always find lots of free stuff!!

Brenda said...

YOU are superwoman. Triplets never come by choice and the fourth, well his timing was meant to be. I'm so glad you are enjoying your time with them AND you get a great mix of fun! I'm so sad at times that the "little" years passed so fast. Keep enjoying!

BTW. It was 73 weeks. :). I count every painful week!

Post a Comment