Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Love Story

I feel badly admitting this, but I have very little involvement in the girls’ homework. They know what they need to do and since I haven’t heard from their teachers otherwise, I trust that they get it done and do a good job. We don’t practice spelling words each week or help them solve math problems – up to this point homework is entirely their work. I’m grateful that they are responsible enough to get it done and that they are able to be successful independently.

Occasionally they will bring something home that requires parental involvement. Last month Carly’s teacher wanted to each of her students to find out what their parent’s “love story” was. I remember being in the family room, Carly sitting in the kitchen, while I quickly relayed how Justin and I became a couple. I gave it very little thought. A few days later, minutes before she needed to leave for school, Carly said she needed a picture of Justin and I dating. We quickly flipped through some old pictures found something suitable and she was on her way.

Last Tuesday evening Jason and I went to the school to get him registered to start Kindergarten next year (an entirely different post) and as we walked by the school office I caught sight of said picture along the main wall and my very own “love story” posted for the whole school, faculty, and parents to see.



It reads, “My mom and dad met after a church activity. They became good friends and had the same group of friends all summer long. Then when college started back up my mom and dad were in the same accounting class and they spent a lot of time studying together. After a few months my dad asked my mom out on a date and she said “Yes!” Shortly after, they started dating and 6 months later they got married in the Temple.”

Ah, isn’t that so romantic? Honestly, I don’t tell the story with any more sap than that either. In fact I’d usually add that when we were introduced I was so taken with his roommate that I don’t even remember meeting Justin that day. Then I usually point out that not only were we in the same accounting classes, but we were also assigned to the same study group, and in the same ward AND FHE group, simply put we couldn’t get away from each other even if we tried, so we got married.

4 comments:

TamBaum said...

So which roommate was it that you were interested in?

Ben and Carrie said...

Your story might not win any "best romance" awards, but something can be said for your 10+ happy years together, and the amazing family you have raised.

Funny about the roommate thing, though. If you do enter any love story content, let me know and I can help you spice up your story! :)

Holly said...

Tami, it was Vernon that caught my eye that day, but alas my roommate caught his ;-)

Jenn said...

So great!

Post a Comment