Sunday, September 23, 2012

Miss Katie

It’s time for a little update on Katie.

(For some reason the video clips aren’t working in Safari, but if I switch to the Firefox browser they work fine.  If someone is tech-savvy and knows why let me know.)

I think she is our happiest child yet – she spends most of the day smiling and her laugh is infectious.  She brings so much happiness into our home – EVERYDAY!  What a blessing it is to be around such pure JOY.

On this particular day she was asking for “one pony.”  I pulled it all back and was shocked and saddened by how much older she looked.  I haven’t done it again.

Katie has started showing interest in going on the potty.  I am reluctant to start that process.  Potty training has really been quite easy with my other kids and I attribute part of that to my waiting until they were ready to take it on and succeed.  Not quite sure she’s there yet, but every once in a while she’ll go “poopy” on the potty, though I don’t think she’s ever peed.

She is talking – a ton.  She can make full on sentences now – sentences that are understandable to even those that don’t live with her.  Though she still jibber jabbers and makes no sense at all sometimes.  We’ve recently realized that she picks up on things we say too – the good and the bad.  The other day I told her she had she shoes on the wrong feet and her response… “Oh, crap” as she sat down on the floor to switch them.



This next video is lengthy (and low quality), but an accurate representation of what it would look like to be a fly on the wall at our house.


She insists she is done with sippy cups, toddler utensils, and small IKEA bowls – this girl is ready to be a big girl.

She is adored by the masses – ok, maybe she doesn’t know massive amounts of people, but people love her.  We’ve become good friends with the new LDS family in the neighborhood and their kids dote on Katie to no end and Katie eats it up.  She gets so excited anytime she sees them, gives them hugs, and jabbers on about anything and everything.  They are so gentle and loving to her – especially the 5 & 8 year old boys.  Sometimes it seems she’s more excited to see them get off the bus than her own siblings.

The boys went as slow as possible in their car to keep Katie safe

She is so easy to get down for naps or bedtime – rarely is there any complaint.  She goes happily and sleeps awesome.  Long naps and peaceful nights.

She still sleeps with her binkie and a favorite blanket (she rubs the tag on the blanket between her fingers).  She knows the binkie stays in her bed though and she’ll spit it out when we come to get her out of her crib.

She is still in a crib, but the girl’s old full sized bed is in her room ready as soon as Justin and I are ready to make the move.

She still likes electronics.  If she can get her hands on my iPad she’ll have it locked up in no time with an excessive amount of incorrect password attempts.  She likes to press keys on the computer any chance she can get as well.  The most catastrophic thing she’s done was earlier this year she was playing on my phone and accessed my Picasa account where all the photos posted on the blog are saved.  Somehow she deleted two entire albums – completely wiped off the blog in a matter of seconds.   Hundreds of pictures from June 2007 - March 2009 gone!  Sure I could recreate those links, but there’s only so much time in a day.

Katie loves to read books, work on puzzles, and do anything her older siblings are doing.  She’s easy going and doesn’t usually require anyone to entertain her.

She is smart.  She can put together puzzles quickly and has recently displaying incredible memorizing skills.  For family scripture study, each night we work on memorizing a scripture.  Last week the kids were learning, “Adam fell that men might be and men are that they might have joy.”  She shocked us when Justin started the sentence and Katie was able to fill in the blanks.

The Sunday before I left for Hong Kong Katie started being really clingy when I tried to take her to nursery (maybe she knew something was going on and her Mom was leaving her for awhile).   Apparently she’d only cry for a minute and then she’d get over it, but it still made me sad to leave her.  She did great last week and today so hopefully she’s past that brief phase. 

Katie is starting to pretend.  She’ll have long one-way conversations on the “phone” – in this case it was my old high school calculator.


The other day I put Jason and Katie to work by shredding a bunch of old papers.  They had lots of fun with it.   Katie is a good little helper, but tends to be more willing to if someone is working along side her.

Like all toddlers, Katie mimics what she sees.  When I rub lotion on my feet she sits down and wants lotion on her feet too.  Last week as I was getting ready I saw she put lotion on her face just like mommy.

Well, maybe not just like mommy.

I love her.  I really, really LOVE her.  My Mom once told me that being at home with her kids when we were young was the happiest years of her life.  I know it’s the same for me.   And I’m lucky this little girl is a part of that!

2 comments:

the Holyoaks said...

I love the post and all of the fun facts about Katie. She is so cute. It's funny that you said she looked older with her hair up. As I was looking at the blog that was my first thought as I looked at those first pictures. She does look like such a big girl with her hair back and looking at her little book. What a doll!

Chrystie said...

She is so adorable. You are right though, she does look way older with one ponytail. I think she looks like Abigail a little with her hair like that. What a cutie patootie!

Post a Comment