Saturday, January 21, 2017

Christmas Break

I was really looking forward to Christmas Break this year.  We came into it with zero plans, but I’d hoped for lots of fun family time at home and some productivity mixed in there for good measure.  It was all that and more. 

The kids had the entire week off of school before Christmas.  Unless I have a picture marking an event, sadly I don’t remember what we did.  My memory is toast.

December 20:  We were all grateful to be able to sleep in on most days.  Now that Drew is out of a crib and potty trained it makes it easier for me to sleep in.  Jason and Katie should be able to help him with anything he may need, but on this particular morning he wanted me to get up to help him with breakfast.  Apparently, he waited next to me so long that he fell back to sleep.  My phone stamp has this pegged at 9:59am – I can still sleep in like the best of teenagers!


We weren’t entirely lazy.  I still tried to get to the gym a couple days a week and since both girls weren’t doing anything active during break they were “required” to exercise at least two days a week.  I did a little elliptical along side the girls tonight before trying out a new yoga class.


While the kids and I were at the gym, Justin was off with an old college buddy shooting.  Justin and I both went through the accounting program with Ryan and he lives in the area and sells guns on the side.  According to Justin’s Instagram:  “The last time I shot a gun was probably a Boy Scout campout in the 80’s.  {tag to our gun-loving friend Benjamin} I’m in need of some target practice.  #steadyhandiamnot”


December 21:  Justin had several days he needed to take as vacation before the year ended.  Today was the first.  He went running this morning along side Jason and Carly who were riding their bikes.  Burrrr!  We’ve had a very cold winter this year!


Justin and I went into Bellevue for lunch at Daniel’s Broiler.  I’ve been carrying around a Daniel’s gift card with a small balance for years and was glad to finally use it up.  After lunch we went to see the new Star Wars movie and then we hit up a few fabric stores on before heading home for a necessary reupholstery project.  Day dates are some of my favorites.

December 22:  Today we took the kids into Seattle to see the Harry Potter gingerbread houses at the Sheraton.  We waited in line for about 10 minutes and then decided we’d just walk around the back of the displays and skip the long line.  The displays were pretty amazing – moving staircases and trains, etc… The details were impressive.


December 23:  This evening we took the three littles down to Center street to see Santa who was hanging out at the temporary ice-skating rink.  Drew was excited until we got there and then had zero desire to sit on Santa’s lap.


The kids were totally unprepared to ask Santa for anything – I think Katie replied Legos and Jason said “something cool”.


Santa was super friendly and kept trying to engage Drew.  Finally Santa just scooped Drew up onto his lap.


Justin and I hit up Brunello’s for dinner and then I started on our reupholstery project.  We bought our dining room set way back in July 2001 (15 1/2 years ago!) – the white fabric has been in dire need of cleaning (or replacement) for many years.  We didn’t use the set very often in Auburn, but since moving here it’s become the place where the kids do all their homework and projects.  One of the chairs recently split open so it was time to do something about the nasty seat covers.  I couldn’t justify getting them reupholstered – even at $50 per chair that would be a $300 investment in a set I don’t love.  So, Justin and I picked up some fabric, borrowed a staple gun, and I channeled my inner upholsterist and got to work.   It wasn’t difficult, but it was time consuming (I spent 5-6 hours working on the six chairs).  Getting the corners pulled and folded consistently on each chair was tricky, but I’m really happy with the results and kicking myself that we didn’t do it years before. 


December 27:  This morning we met up with the Reynolds for the long-talked about shooting date.  Benjamin is WAY into guns and we’ve been talking about going shooting with them for years.  Sommer hadn’t been shooting with Benjamin since before they were married and I don’t recall ever shooting a gun so Benjamin had his work cut out for him with three greenies.

He brought a couple different types of guns and lots of ammo.  He’s a member of an outdoor shooting range near the Falls so we were able to join him as his guests.  I was glad to find that I’m actually a pretty good shot.  I was super excited that Justin had taken some video of me hitting a golf ball for the first time. 



By the end of the two hours we spent at the range I was pretty consistent hitting the balls.  Super fun date and I’m certain it won’t be long before we do it again.  We both have prime cards so we headed to a local restaurant with the Reynolds for a 2-for-1 lunch afterward.

While Justin and I were out playing with our friends the kids were back home sorting through all the craft stuff we had pulled out of the kitchen and laundry room cupboards.  I was relieved that the girls were ready to get rid of most of it and they had organized what they still thought we should keep.  Decluttering makes me so happy!


The T-Mobile Tuesday promo today was any movie for $2.  It wasn’t hard to convince the Reynolds and Olsens to join us to see Passengers that evening.  All the kids convened at the Reynolds house and the big kids played XBox while the little kids watched a couple movies.  Fun today from beginning to end.

December 28:  Justin and I had reservation this morning for brunch at the Salish Lodge – another 2-for-1 on his prime card.  When we moved to Seattle 16 years ago I told Justin that someday I want to eat at the restaurant on top of the Space Needle and stay at the Salish Lodge.  We still haven’t done either, but this morning was a step in the right direction.  It was delicious and something we’ll definitely have to do again – perhaps even as guests.


I’m so grateful to live is such a beautiful area.


Back at home we dug in deep to our kitchen cleanup/reorganization.  The goal was to empty every single drawer and cupboard, clean it (inside/out), sort through every single item we own – getting rid of anything we don’t need/want and then put it back together in the places that makes the most sense.  We’ve been in our house nearly six years now and there were several drawers and cupboards that we changed based on what works best for how we use our kitchen.  I took this picture when only about half of the cabinets were empty. 


It was a huge job but I’m loving the results, but we’re all still getting used to where to find things.

December 31:  Our New Year’s Eve wasn’t very exciting.  I don’t remember much about the day, but this about sums up our evening.


Carly spent the evening with friends.  Abigail went to the big church dance – though because of an impending snowstorm they celebrated the new year at 11pm so she was home just before midnight and able to party with Justin and I.  We’d thought about keeping the littles up until midnight but I think they were getting on our nerves so a super late night was a no-go.

January 1:  A new year meant our ward moved from 9am church to 1pm.  The later church was welcome after a late night and even more snow flurries.


A new year also means new classes for the kids.  Drew advanced from nursery to sunbeams – which means we have officially graduated from nursery.  Drew was excited about going to primary.  Katie walked him in the room chatting it up and making it such a big deal that Drew started to get pretty nervous and didn’t want to sit down in the row of sunbeams.  It took some coaxing from the sweet primary leaders to help him feel comfortable.  He was all smiles when I picked him up from class two hours later.  That evening I got a text from one of the Mom’s of an adorable little girl in sunbeams informing me that apparently her daughter had initiated quite a bit of smooching with Drew during class.  No wonder he was a happy little boy!

January 2:  More snow! 


It sure sounds like Justin and I left the kids a bunch during break – and perhaps we did get to go out a bit more than usual, but they had a great time as well.  Time with friends, babysitting gigs for the girls, super late nights, shopping, and of course we played some games and did a puzzle or two.  I bought this 1000 piece Mickey puzzle while in Disneyworld and oh, my it was a bugger!  Pieces that fit in multiple places – it was a challenge for sure.  I’ve already passed it along to another unsuspecting family :)


Then it was all over and we were back to the grind of early mornings, school, homework, sports practices, regular workouts, carpools, etc…

No comments:

Post a Comment