Christmas landed on a Sunday this year so our
morning routine was a bit different than usual. My alarm went off at 7:30am and I was surprised that we
hadn’t already been woken up by any excited children. While I got ready the kids started waking up and we were eager
to bust downstairs to check out their stockings.
We bought our Christmas tree back in 2003 (after Christmas clearance) and we’ve
had issues with a couple strands of lights for the last few years. After Christmas we gave the tree away to
a young couple from our old ward.
Guess we’ll be getting a new tree in 2017! I HATE fluffing the thing so we paid Carly $10 whopping
dollars to do it for us. Justin
and the kids did all the decorating of the tree this year – Jason found some
random orange ribbon and wrapped it around the tree a couple times and then
tied each end to a branch. It
wasn’t the most impressive tree, but that’s how we’ve always rolled around
here. A few years ago Santa
started a tradition of hanging candy canes on the tree when he visits. The kids love it.
I love that the kids still get excited about the
lifesavers, toothbrushes, and oranges they get in their stockings each
year. Santa keeps it simple – just
like we like it.
Our Sunday church service was moved from 9am to
10am with only a sacrament meeting service and we were combined with the other
ward that meets in our building.
After digging through our stockings we enjoyed a delicious Waffle Luv
style breakfast and then headed off to church where it was nice to focus on the
Savior and enjoy many beautiful musical numbers shared by members of our ward.
The second we got home the church clothes got
thrown off and the pjs put back on.
It was time to unwrap all those gifts under the tree! The kids may say I torture them by not
putting names on any of the gifts I wrap.
Instead of names I’ve been hiding a small number or letter on each gift
and I have a master list on my phone of which goes to who. We only goofed on one gift. I’m pretty sure my mom did this a time
or two because I was a gift counter {shocker!} and sorted the gifts under our
tree often - keeping close tabs on how many everyone had.
We told the kids not to expect much for
Christmas. We just got back from
an ultimate vacation and typically keep things pretty inexpensive for Christmas
anyhow. As December wore on the
gifts under the tree seemed to be multiplying on a daily basis. As I mentioned Abigail was really
excited about giving gifts to everyone this year and I really found some killer
deals that I simply couldn’t pass up.
T-Mobile had a couple fun Tuesday promos in December. One week we got $15 per line (we have
five) to a website that sells fun and unique gifts and knick-knacks. I found some cool stuff that we were
able to get basically for free.
Then another week they gave $25 per line (that’s $125!) to
Zappos.com. We scored some awesome
stuff that was already on sale – Sanuk sandals and a gym bag for me, slides for
Carly, flip-flops for Justin, and a new pair of shoes for Katie. Amazon also had some amazing deals – it
seemed we got a package a day – putting our Amazon Prime membership to good
use.
Anyhow, the kids felt like they were spoiled when
quite honestly we spent very little.
Win-Win!
Abigail received some new film for her Instax and
an album to hold all the Instax pictures she’s taken so far.
Carly was thrilled to get the converse and booties
she really, really wanted – she had to use some of her Christmas money to pay
for one of them, but has been very happy with her new footwear.
Jason got a couple Lego sets and a new basketball
(since I ran over his the week before – totally not my fault since it was left
loose and had rolled under the van).
Katie and Drew got a few clothes and some
Magformers toys to share with the fam.
My Mom and Val bought gifts for Katie and Drew and
sent money to the three oldest and candy to all.
Drew loved his Mickey hat and Big Hero toy.
Katie scored two Lego sets on her wish list from
Grandma and Val.
The opening of sibling gifts is always so fun to
watch.
Abigail bought Carly a cool earring holder (Carly
had been using a earring holder she crafted out of Legos) and Carly got Abigail
some fuzzy socks filled with candy kisses and gum disguised by being carefully
wrapped in dollar bills.
Carly bought Katie a big package of pez candy with
a Santa dispenser.
Jason was so excited to get his own dot-to-dot book
from Abigail.
Jason picked out a mega hauler truck for Drew to
play with all the hot wheels cars we have.
And Drew got Abigail a much desired baseball hat.
Drew seemed to have all the big boxes under the
tree. Abigail wrapped up a Nemo
ball for Drew in this huge box.
Drew didn’t want to get clothes on after church so
clearly he didn’t
Justin and I typically don’t exchange gifts, but I
did buy him a pull-up bar that he’d been talking about wanting. We won’t get into the drama he caused
by snooping around in my Amazon cart and discovering that I was looking at them
and then trying to passive-aggressively hint that he didn’t really want a
pull-up bar after all, but little did he know it had already been purchased. Nope, we won’t get into that at all. :)
Our family room was quite the scene by the time we
had everything unwrapped.
The afternoon passed quickly and then it was time
to head down to the Baumgartner’s to celebrate with the Fletcher Family. Dinner was delicious and we had a great
time visiting and exchanging gifts.
We stayed way past bedtime and Drew was so conked
out that he barely woke up as we brought him into the house and helped him into
bed. A very Merry Christmas
indeed!


























No comments:
Post a Comment