Thursday, December 24, 2015

Other October

There is a small drawback from all Justin’s training… all the stinky clothes! (He’s not allowed to put them in our dirty clothes tubs)


Oct 2:  Carly went to Fright Fest at Enchanted Village with a large group of other sixth graders on the night of the middle school dance (most of us Moms are sticking to the church guidelines and not doing the dance thing until our kids are at least 14)


My friend Sommer had to tell me a story about Carly at the candy store afterward because it she knew I’d get a kick out of it.  Apparently most of the other kids had already picked out and paid for the candy they were purchasing and Carly was still looking over the candy in deep thought.  Sommer asked her what was the hold up and Carly responded that she couldn’t figure out if it was more economical to get the smaller package of sprees or the larger package.  Sommer helped her figure out the cost per ounce and they were good to go.


Oct 3:  Drew was my buddy at Abigail’s soccer game today and while the girls warmed up Drew walked around the cement border around the playground – holding my hand!  He can be such an independent kid so it was a real treat for me.


Drew isn’t much into the game itself – he comes along for the snacks.


Oct 5:  Katie lost her first tooth while we were camping over Labor Day weekend and it took 30 days for the tooth fairy to actually show up.  She was thrilled when she finally got her reward.  Seriously wish we’d never allowed that blasted fairy in our house.


Oct 6:  Katie was already a great little reader when she entered kindergarten.  It always amazes me how quickly kids can catch onto reading on their own.  Just a sweet view one evening as we were winding down for the night.


Even Drew was enjoying a little light reading.


Oct 8:  Oh the joy of olives!


Oct 10:  Jason still misses his friend Everett that lived a few doors down and moved away two years ago.  Every so often we’ll find a sweet note from him.  I think Justin actually messaged Everett’s Dad this one.



Oct 10: The Barlow’s move to Texas was a major bummer for us.  We’ve made so many fun memories with them over the past few years.  Laura loves nothing more than having a great time (she’s pretty much a solid yellow) so we had to do one last epic date night before moving day.  Whirlyball was an absolute blast! {think cross between bumper cars, basketball, and lacrosse)


Oct 12:  It seems I have to vacuum our kitchen floor multiple times a day.  I wasn't too upset to find Drew doing his part to clean up the crumbs.  This isn’t an isolated event – even today (Dec 24) Drew sucked up some candies right off the kitchen floor.


Oct 13:  Abigail headed up a Hungry Hippos beehive activity.  Looks like it was lots of fun!


Oct 15:  I had grand plans to send my brother Lee donuts and chocolate milk on his birthday but I struck out with delivery options.  As a last resort we woke up early and bought fresh-out-of-the-oven donuts from a local donut shop and sent him a picture of us enjoying them in his birthday honor.  It’s the least we could do!


Oct 29:  Katie earned herself SOAR Student of the Week at the end of October.  Her teacher said that Katie was such a sweet girl and a huge help in the classroom.  This earned Katie a spotlight on the school TV, Friday newsletter, a picture on the board near the school entrance, and of course, a certificate.  I was sent this picture from another parent in the neighborhood.


Ironically, at parent teacher conferences at the end of November her teacher mentioned that shortly after the award Katie had several days where she hadn’t been all that sweet and had been “correcting” her teacher.  I wasn’t too shocked as Katie often falls into the bossy mom mode at home too.  She’s still more sugar than spice though.

Oct 30:  I lost my running partner in August when she broke her foot – then she was called to teach early morning seminary.  I’ve so missed our early morning runs (total social runner here and Camden was an awesome partner).  Anyhow… I’ve been getting a lot of pressure from some gals in the ward to join the YMCA.  I seriously hate exercise, but I needed some sort of exercise in my life so I took advantage of the non-registration fees in October and got myself a membership.  Grrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment