I tried – really I did, but he
was certain he was ready and I couldn’t bring myself to keep him home with me
any longer. My little boy started
kindergarten on Tuesday, September 4th. Thankfully he’s only half day so to be honest I hardly even
notice he is gone. Katie always
naps in the afternoon and Jason usually just quietly entertained himself while
I did whatever it was I needed to get done. So it works well for him to have school in the afternoon so
he and Katie still have the mornings together.
Jason and I met his teacher the
previous week and she spent a few minutes “accessing” him while I filled out
paperwork in the hall. When she
came out she told me he was such a cute little boy and that he was well
prepared for kindergarten. I
expressed my relief on hearing that since he just turned five this summer. She said he is the youngest in the
class but without a doubt is ready for kindergarten. It felt great to hear that, though it doesn’t mean this momma
is ready to send him :)
Jason on his first day of
school:
The awesome backpack we picked
up at Walmart the day before school started:
We love that he has a buddy in
the neighborhood that is in his class.
They were so excited to get on the cute little bus and head off to
school that I didn’t even think to have him pause and turn around for a
picture.
The AM/PM kindergartners rotate
weeks attending school all day on Friday (the whole school gets out 2 hours
early on Fridays, so technically it’s not a full day anyhow, but they do get to
eat lunch and ride the morning bus).
This past Friday was Jason’s first Friday at school. He was super pumped to take a lunch to
school. He has recently become a
HUGE fan of sandwiches – nothing special just a regular ole cheese sandwich,
but he LOVES them.
It also meant it was Katie’s
first full day without Jason.
She’s gotten so used to taking a nap right after we get home from
walking Jason to the bus in the afternoon that that morning when we got home at
8:30am she asked, “bed?” She
didn’t seem either disappointed or relieved that she wasn’t taking her nap
already (she’d been awake less than an hour). Right after lunch though she immediately questioned me
again, “bed?” I told her yes to
which she replied, “Yeah!”. She’s
so stinkin cute!
The three “BIG” kids heading off
to school together last Friday
I could tell that the full day
at school took it’s toll on Jason that afternoon/evening. Things that normally wouldn’t bother
him did and he was much more sensitive.
Glad I don’t have to deal with a tired little boy every day. Seriously,
what’s happening to my babies!
Slow down…





1 comment:
Whew! That is a long day for a 5-year-old on a Friday. I understand the sensitive thing...Arden breaks down at the drop of a hat on school nights! It is scary how fast they are all growing up!
Post a Comment