Friday, June 27, 2014

End of the School Year Wrap-Up

Our last day of school was Wednesday, June 18th.  The kids had a great year, but it’s time to put this past school year behind us and enjoy summer break!


Abigail:  6th Grade

Abigail has an awesome group of friends.  Seriously, they are so chill, accepting, no-frill, no-drama girls.  Love that!  Moving into middle school meant she was finally attending school with friends from church as well. 

In September during the Hawk-Walk fundraiser some of her friends decided to dressup as different colors of the rainbow.  


After each quarter the middle school holds an awards assembly.  Abigail earned a 4.0 in all four quarters – impressive, right?  In October she was student of the week.  And during the first quarterly awards ceremony she was surprised to be awarded student of the month too.  I wasn’t able to attend any of the awards ceremonies, but a few friends sent me pictures.

December 2013
 
February 2014
 
(photo taken in June 2014)

In March Abigail and her friend Morgan worked together to create a 3D “Cell City” 



I don’t have any pictures of Abigail from band this year.  This is her second year playing the flute and she’s enjoying it enough to continue next year.  Abigail willingly signed up to participate in the Solo & Ensemble Festival with her friends Morgan and Kaley in March and they received great marks.  

Abigail is excited for 7th grade and the opportunity that brings to be able participate in the school’s athletic teams.

Carly:  4th Grade

The annual walk-a-thon is our school’s biggest fundraiser.  I’m not exactly sure how it works but I think people pledge money for every lap the kids do.  I’m obviously not a contributor but the school raised about $60,000 this year so obviously a lot of people are – I think corporate matching also plays a big role.

Chloe’s Mom sent this picture of the girls at the walk-a-thon in October.


In November Justin was able to go with Carly on a field trip to the Museum of Flight with her High-C class.  I went with Abigail when she was in High-C.  It’s such a fun field trip.  The kids learn all about flight and then get to use simulators to try to fly to a specific destination.  


Carly’s science fair project in March was determining whether a penny would get cleaner in shout, oil or sprite.  Science fair projects are not a favorite in our house so we try to pick the easiest one possible.  Our data probably wasn’t the most accurate, but our best guess was that the shout cleaned the best {shocker, right?}  


In May Carly was awarded Student of the Week.  The odds of being the one student chosen is really quite slim so it’s a big honor.  The following is the nomination she received:

Carly Fletcher is an amazing student and citizen of Fall City Elementary.  Her teachers have come to expect fantastic work in all subject areas.  When any suggestion is given to the whole class, Carly is the first to apply new knowledge or ideas.  When her teachers are speaking, she is always actively listening and providing thoughtful answers during classroom discussions.  Carly’s proactivity helps to make our classroom a better place, as she is always willing to lend a helping hand to her classmates and teachers.  She is a bright, kind and helpful student. The future is definitely bright for this Fall City Elementary All-Star.

Her picture was displayed on the school TV as well as the outdoor marquee.


The High-C kids plan learning activities for the school Imagination Celebration held each June.  We learned from Abigail participating the previous two years that the popular projects have some sort of fun feature to draw kids in.  A friend in the ward built a plinko board for a ward activity so we borrowed that.  For every math question a student got correct they were able to run a chip down the plinko board to earn tickets for Carly’s prize drawing.  I pulled Abigail out of her last class so she could be there to help Carly during the event.  It was a huge success.


Jason:  1st Grade

First grade was quite the adjustment for Jason.  The long days sure took a toll on our sweet kid at the beginning of the year.  First grade also exposed our innocent little boy to other not-so-innocent little boys.  Jason went from drawing flowers and people to drawing bombs dropping out of the sky.  


Justin took this next picture as Jason was leaving the house for the bus one November morning.  It was 26° outside. This crazy kid is like his Dad and would wear shorts all year long.  Funny though that he thought gloves were necessary.


I took this next picture when I went to the school for parent-teacher conferences in November.  I think the picture they took of him is cute.


Jason’s teacher just sent me a disk full of images she’d taken throughout the year.  With two little ones at home I haven’t been able to volunteer much so it’s so fun for me to see pictures of all the fun Jason has been experiencing this year.  Here’s a few:

Jason says the picture below is him “telephone reading” – actually quite a brilliant idea if you think about it.  Jason has grown into a really great reader.  

(March 2014)

I don’t think his buddy is amused - this is the bomb-drawing-influence

I had to miss out on going with Jason on his big end of the year field trip because of a big community event I was helping at for my calling.  The first graders went to a reptile zoo.  I’m glad his teacher took a picture of all the kiddos.


In preparation for the reptile field trip each student created a research project on a reptile.  


This little poem came home at the end of the year with a picture of Jason at the beginning and end of the school year – losing his top two teeth this year sure does make him look different. 


The poem reads:

Me I Am

I love candy.
I love to play football.
I am a good friend.
I love to cook too.
I will be a good builder.
I want to be a teacher.
I can try.
I can try to be a teacher.
I will try to be a principal.

It was a successful school year.  Everyone got great grades, made lots of friends, and learned a bit along the way as well.  And brace yourselves for this next tidbit…. all three kids had perfect attendance!  Seriously!  The awesome and pretty unbelievable part of that is that I didn’t have sick kids this year (green smoothies!) – the sad part of that is that we didn’t go on any vacations besides visiting Utah for Christmas break.  Not sure that they’ll ever earn another one of these certificates.

No comments:

Post a Comment