Friday, March 6, 2015

March 5 [the falls]

Shortly after the kids left for school on Wednesday morning I got a text from a mother in the neighborhood who said that Jason and another 2nd grade girl lifted up her daughters shirt at the bus stop causing her daughter to run home humiliated and refuse to go to school.  I was shocked.  Jason is uber aware of modesty at home for himself and is very respectful of his three sisters.  I couldn’t believe he would actually think something like that could be funny.  It didn’t sound anything like him.  The mother filed a report with the school and when I couldn’t reach either of Carly’s friends that have cell phones I decided to wait for news.

I received a phone call a few hours later from the principal.  She had questioned several kids at the bus stop and all gave her the same story.  The ‘victim’ was sitting on her backpack waiting for the bus, the other 2nd grade girl was trying to pull her up and when unsuccessful asked Jason to help her.  He did.  As they pulled on her arms her shirt lifted slightly showing a little of her tummy.  She obviously thought kids were laughing AT her and ran home embarrassed.  Thankfully it wasn’t as terrible as it first sounded, but still a lesson for kids to keep their hands to themselves.  The principal handled it beautifully.  She called the irate mother and explained the reality of the situation and that the kids weren’t acting malicious.  Jason and his accomplice spend their lunch writing apology letters to the victim and both were “punished” by not being allowed to ride the bus yesterday.  The principal said it almost broke her heart talking to Jason because she could tell how horrible he felt and how innocent his motive had been.  Regardless of his intent I think it will be something he remembers and hopefully he’ll chose not be a follower next time.  Just the day before this he was playing outside at the park with these two girls and they all went behind a fence to explore.  Not a big deal, but it’s something he knows I don’t approve of so when I saw him behind the fence he had to come inside and was done playing for the day.  Because his friends were doing it he decided he would too.  Raising these kiddos to strong enough to stand up for what they know to be right is not an easy job.

Anyhow, after I dropped him off at school yesterday we stopped at the Snoqualmie Falls on our way home.  Isn’t my backyard beautiful?  I so love where we live!


Drew was too busy running around to stop for any pictures.


The water is actually quite low right now.  This picture was taken in January when we were experiencing some flooding in the valley and the falls were overflowing.


Just a tad bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment