I decided to join Justin on a work trip to DC October 22-26 – I’d never been before and thought this would be a great opportunity to see the sights. I’m not a huge history buff so seeing it on my own ended up being ideal – I could spend as much or as little time visiting a sight and didn’t have to worry about anyone else. We took a red-eye there and had an most of the first day together. That was the wettest day, but we spent most of it indoors so it was fine. Justin had arranged tickets for us to tour the White House, the Supreme Court, the Washington National Monument, and the Capital. A full day running on very little sleep!
The White House
I actually didn’t find the White House particularly interesting. What I’d really love to see is the third floor that is actually used by the President as a residence. I’ve seen a lot of palaces in my day and what we saw today seemed like any other for the most part.
They are putting in a much higher fence around the White House that unfortunately inhibited us from getting a great photo.
The Supreme Court
Some of the buildings and museums have strict no photo policy which I’m guessing was the case with the supreme court cause I only have a couple and since it’s months past at this point I don’t really remember too much about it. Sitting in the courtroom did give me some PTSD of my appeals against my own local government last year.
The Washington Monument
It was neat to see the city from the top of the Washington Monument. Can’t say that the city was particularly beautiful this time of the year, but I felt the same looking down at Paris from the Eiffel tower. I’m a girl who likes her landscape green I suppose. A PNW girl.
Lincoln Memorial in the distance
The White House in the distance
Jefferson Memorial in the distance
The US Capital in the distance
A great way to get perspective on the layout of the city though.
The US Capitol
We walked along the Mall to the Capital from the Washington Monument.
We booked our Capitol tour through our state representative so we had a small group – just four of us – and we got to use the underground tunnels to walk from the various buildings. Very cool and at the end of the tour we got to meet and visit with our state representative.
The rotunda was my favorite
Our passes also allowed us to attend both the congress and senate meetings in session. No pictures allowed but very cool to see and the rooms were beautiful.
By the time we had finished it was already late afternoon and we were starving! I texted my friend Laura and she sent us to Good Stuff Eatery for burgers, fries and a toasted marshmallow shake. Sounds crazy, but the shake was delicious. Laura’s sister-in-law lives in DC and emailed me a list of places to see and eat during our stay and I was able to hit most of them during the week.
No before picture, but the aftermath
I don’t remember the rest of the evening except that Justin had a meeting to attend and I’m sure we were ready to crash after a full day.
































No comments:
Post a Comment