Monday [1/11]: I spent several hours today trying to find a piece of furniture we can put between the boys bed. I even took it to photoshop and so I could insert each piece of furniture “into” the room. Even after all that effort no decision has made.
Tuesday [1/12]: Today I attempted a weight workout sent to me by Andrea and holy moly, it was rough. Getting back into weights in going to be a painful. I was sore for days. Justin and I were able to watch some episodes of Friday Night Lights tonight. We decided last week to purchase the DVD’s so we could watch the series without commercials. We have five seasons to get through and were still in season one. I had no idea that the series aired 14 years ago – talk about being a little late to the game! Ha! The lights flickered around midnight and then at 12:30am everything went completely dark. Like SO dark! It was pitch black outside without any street lights, etc… We thought the power would come back quickly but turns out the wind was much stronger than we thought and nearly 300,000 households were out of power. We haven’t lost power since 2012 so this was a bit of a shocker.
Wednesday [1/13]: Obviously there can’t be any online school when there isn’t any power. Justin had to go into the office since he’s slammed with deadlines. He called mid-day and said that he missed being home and seeing everyone, even if he’s slammed with work when he's home he can pop in for a few minutes here and there. I made some pancakes for the kids for breakfast and pulled out the solar powered lights I bought recently and put those outside to get as powered up as possible on a partly sunny PNW winter day.
Cell service was pretty spotty today which may have helped us convince Carly to join us for a game of Settlers. It was a long, tight game and both Carly, Katie and I were strong contenders for victory, but Carly was able to pull out a win with a little help in the end from Drew.
I don’t mind so much not having power but having to worry about the food in the fridge and freezer is super stressful. We pulled out some of the ice cream in the freezer and ate that for lunch. The kids didn’t mind.
How timely that this afternoon the battery organizer I ordered several days ago arrived. I can’t even explain how much joy it brings me to have little things like this to make life a little more orderly. Ha!
It’s so strange how different the evening feels without power. There’s not nearly as much to do. JKD played on the Nintendo since it still had some charge leftover.
Even just reading a book is trickier.
![]() |
| A very hygge moment |
Carly and I watched Zoey’s Playlist on my iPad after JKD were in bed. We got in my bed to keep warm. I woke up around 2am and noticed that the power was back on so Justin and I were able to go downstairs and move everything we’d put outside in a cooler back into the fridge. Thankfully we didn’t have any issues with food going bad during the 24 hours that the power was off. We’ve decided to buy a generator though just to alleviate that concern in the future. Always better to be prepared.
Thursday [1/14]: The power was still out for some areas of our school district so they called it an asynchronous day which basically gave my kids another day off. I made enchiladas today for dinner. I started in the afternoon thinking I would just put them in the fridge until dinner, but by the time they were all prepared I was hungry enough to just pop them in the oven and eat early. Justin came downstairs just long enough to put some on a plate and take back to his desk. It seems like such an ordinary day but I remember there was a point in the day where I was making dinner, listening to music and I was struck with how good life was. I’m grateful to feel that joy even in the ordinary.
Friday [1/15]: Carly had a couple friends over tonight. It was the first time in ages (months?). Her bestie’s family has been super covid careful and I think Carly just decided she’s tired of waiting around for that one friend and she make some plans without her.
Saturday [1/16]: We had several freebies to redeem and saved them for this weekend with the hopes that Justin could join us. First up was Jimmy Johns to redeem our free Little John sandwiches from this week’s T-Mobile Tuesdays deal. Next was Chick-fil-A to redeem five free brownies that they offered to all customers this month. Justin also used some of his points to get some nuggets, a sandwich and some fries just to top everyone off. Since we were out I ran into Costco to pick up a few groceries. This was the only time all week that I’d been anywhere (minus walking to the library with Katie and picking up some MOD pizza curbside). Our last stop was Jamba where I redeemed a $4 off coupon also from the T-Mobile Tuesday app. Justin worked the entire outing from the passenger seat and by this point was nearly out of power on his laptop so it was straight home and back to work (until after midnight) – which sadly isn’t unusual recently.
I finally got a picture of Katie with her “Leader of the Pack” certificate. I’ll pop that into this post, but also put it here. Proud of my girl!
Sunday [1/17]: Today was a hard day to get moving. I’m getting tired of walking around my neighborhood day after day after day to close my circles. Today is Day 318 of my streak so I can’t stop now. Justin had to work all day, though he did join us for virtual sacrament meeting and helped Jason make his kung pao spaghetti for dinner, so there wasn’t going to be much of a chance of fitting in one of our late night walks tonight. So I bribed the kids to join me along the Snoqualmie Valley Trail but told them there would be NO Pokémon. As of late they will happily go for a walk if I let them capture Pokémon along the way, but I wanted our walk today to be tech-free. Of course, they weren’t excited about that so I bribed them with ice-cream and time to play on the Nintendo Switch afterward. Jason, Katie and Drew happily took me up on the offer. I enjoyed the change of scenery and we chatted the whole time about all sorts of things so it was great. We walked four miles and it still didn’t close my move ring – major bummer, but I guess that’s what happens if I only walk on flat trails.









No comments:
Post a Comment