Sommer reached out to me before Christmas and mentioned that our mutual friend Camden’s son (Tanner) had reached out to Sommer about giving Camden a ticket to Oregon for Christmas so she could see us (and he could ski Mt. Bachelor and have free accommodations at Sommer’s house). I was all over that and looked forward to our weekend for months.
Originally we were going to leave on Thursday since Camden and Tanner weren’t arriving until that evening, but Sommer was bringing her son Wyatt and his buddy Jaden who both had season passes to Bachelor and wanted to ski as much as possible. So we left right after I finished my Wednesday tennis lesson so the boys could ski Thursday. This also gave Sommer and I an extra day together in one of our favorite places. The drive down was completely uneventful. Thankfully we had clear roads and light traffic. We arrived just before 10pm and as if we hadn’t had enough time to chat during the six hour drive we stay up until midnight visiting.
Thursday: The boys ended up sleeping in this morning so we didn’t get out of the house until after 10am to take them up to the mountain to ski for the day. On our way up a car coming down the mountain was giving us a thumbs down through their windshield. We wondered if maybe they thought we were driving too fast, but after a little thought we deciphered that they were communicating that the ski lifts were closed for the day. So we turned around and dropped the boys back at the house and Sommer and I went into Bend for brunch at the McKay Cottage which was delicious.
We also ran a few errands, picked up groceries for the weekend, and some take-n-bake pizzas from Papa Murphy’s. Sommer had a bit of work to do back at the house and then we went on a bike ride which was really beautiful. This is my first time in Sunriver in the winter. It’s very different but still beautiful. We had some time to kill back at the house before heading into the village for dinner. I wasn’t very hungry but I felt that I needed to order the skillet of macaroni and cheese at the brewery that I have loved in the past. Turns out I should’ve gone with my gut and ordered something lighter. It was much too heavy and I only ended up eating half of it. Camden’s flight wasn’t arriving until late tonight so we had enough time to watch Pride and Prejudice before heading to the airport to pick them up. Everybody was pretty tired by the time we back to the house around midnight so we called it a night.
Friday: The resort was closed again today so we spent the day relaxing in Sunriver. We played a long game of Settlers in the morning. Made even longer because three people have never played before. In the afternoon we walked to the village for lunch and a little shopping.
Those of us that needed to rent skis for tomorrow also got those rented and picked up. Fingers crossed that Bachelor opens and we have a great day skiing. We had a simple pasta dinner and then most of us got in the hot tub and chatted for a while before cleaning up and playing Ticket to Ride before bed. I didn’t sleep well tonight at all - likely due to being anxious about skiing tomorrow. I came down to Sunriver fully intending to ski alone so that I wouldn’t hold anybody back, but I was also nervous not knowing what my skill level would be.
Saturday: The ski resort was dealing with so much new snow in the last 24 hours so they could only open a few lifts today. In the end Sommer and I decided not to ski and dropped everybody off at the mountain in the late morning and then we headed back to Sunriver to return our skis and do a little snowshoeing around the golf course.
Wyatt and Jaden only lasted until lunchtime before they could no longer stand the heavy crowds and long lines and asked Sommer to come and pick them up. The three LeeMaster’s (Camden’s daughter Addison came as well) ended up skiing until 4pm and said that after lunch there were a lot less people so they were able to fit in a lot more runs than the morning. Sommer and I were able to watch the entire four episodes of the Jane Eyre series on BBC during our relaxing afternoon. We cooked up the Papa Murphy’s pizzas for dinner and then we played a game of Settlers of Catan and watched a movie before calling it a night.
Sunday: The LeeMaster‘s flight didn’t leave until noon today so we had enough time to fit in a short bike ride this morning with the ladies and Tanner joined us as well. It was a little slick with some ice on the sidewalks but we were able to manage as long as we went relatively slow. It was a beautiful day today. No wind and clear blue skies. A perfect day for skiing if it wasn’t the Sabbath and we weren’t all heading home, ha!
We dropped the LeeMaster‘s off at the Redmond, Oregon airport and then made our way back home.






No comments:
Post a Comment