Monday [3/29]: Very rarely do I need to set an alarm in the morning but today Jason was going back to school for the first time in 382 days so this being his “first day of school“ I got up and saw him off and took some photos on the porch before he went to catch his bus. I’m so glad to see him going to school and he ended up having a great day. He’s grown over seven inches since his last day of school, his voice has dropped a few octaves and for the first time in his life he hasn’t wanted his hair buzzcut. I can’t believe this man-child of mine is just 13 and will be a high schooler in a few months!
He reported that lunch was the worst part of the day. The students are divided into two separate rooms and assigned to a chair which they will sit in for lunch every day. The chairs are 6 feet apart from any other student and they are not allowed to go outside and need to remain in that chair for the entire 30 minutes.
Carly had a 9am appointment to get a covid test before heading to the Oregon coast (Manzanita) today with friends at noon. Her appointment went well and we thought we’d have her results within an hour or so. A friend of hers that went after us received his results by 10:30am but we still didn’t have hers at 12:30pm and were holding up the entire group. Thankfully the parents agreed that they should hit the road and didn’t seem to be concerned about it, some of these families have been extremely covid careful, thankfully within a half hour or so after they finally pulled out she got official confirmation that her test was negative. She is going to have so much fun this week and I’m grateful that she has this time to spend with her friends.
Justin and I went to MOD Pizza for lunch to take it advantage of the lunch special they have running.
I made some kamut bread today so we could have it as a snack when the kids got home from school. Overall I felt like it was a productive day even though I’m still feeling quite groggy from my weekend away. I had hoped to play tennis with Jason this afternoon but he got home and stated that because it had lightly snowed at some point today the courts would be wet. I doubt that was actually the case but I let him off the hook and hope to play tomorrow.
Not much going on this evening. Justin gave a brief Easter message to JKD and then after KD went to bed he and I went on a long walk. It’s been a long time since we’ve walked our night route and it was nice to be outside and get moving.
Tuesday [3/30]: Instead of coming downstairs right after I woke up I got dressed and ready for the day first. When I came down to the family room I saw Drew on the couch wrapped in a blanket with only his underwear on and he was on his class call. Is it not obvious by this point that you should wear more than just underwear to class? I had him get off video and run upstairs and get dressed and move over to the table where he supposed to do his morning call. When he was done with that he and I made some pasta salad for everyone to eat for lunch later.
The weather is forecasted to be quite nice this week so I was hoping to play some tennis with Jason when he got done with his calls this afternoon. He turned me down (again) and instead made a batch of Cadbury egg cookies. No exercise but fresh cookies isn’t necessarily the best thing for all of us but it is definitely is enjoyable. Katie and Drew got home from school and I told them they needed to get outside and enjoy the nice weather so they went for a bike ride around the neighborhood. Jason was also told he needed to get outside so at 5:30pm he approached me about playing tennis. Definitely would’ve rather done played earlier in the day but I couldn’t say no so off we went. He’s definitely improved since the last time it was just he and I playing. It won’t be long before he’ll be able to whoop me.
Justin and I went out tonight to pick up the last of our free cheesecakes at Cheesecake Factory. I also had an order at Walmart to pick up curbside of Easter stuff and we picked up some dinner at Jersey Mikes (redeemed my free birthday meal finally) and Justin ate Café Rio. The manager had some free chips and queso brought over to our table while we were eating so that was pretty sweet.
I started a new book tonight which felt a bit like a luxury and we got to bed at a pretty decent time so that felt nice.
Our bishop and his wife Natalie (friends of ours as well) are the chaperones of Carly’s friend trip this week and Natalie kept us posted on their activities. Last night she sent the parents the following message.
“We made it! Been here a while 2.5 hours and the kids got all moved in. 2 of them went biking on the beach complete with burpees. 2 of them played a game of chess while listening to old music on a record player. And 2 of them went for a 3 mile run on the beach. Which one is yours?”
None of the options sounded like Carly, but I replied “I would’ve guessed Carly went biking but the burpees eliminate that. She ran?!?!? Must be Chloe’s influence 🤷🏻♀”
Today she sent us these pictures:
Wednesday [3/31]: Since Carly was out of town it was just Jason and I at tennis lessons today. Dusko was running late so we had extra time to warm up and had a great lesson focusing primarily on adding more of a spin to our forehand. Justin and I wanted to get my car washed last night but couldn’t get there before they closed so Jason and I swung by a brown bear wash with a free certificate and I got that taken care of. We probably only a wash our car a few times a year so it always looks so different nice and clean.
When I got home Katie asked if I wanted to go for a walk with her. That doesn’t happen very often so I certainly couldn’t tell her no. She’s been wearing my old apple watch and apparently likes to have her circles closed too. We walked over to the park while Drew rode his bike and did a few rounds around the track before heading home and getting cleaned up. The Ivar’s promotion was still running through today so we met up Mike & Linda for dinner. Everybody seemed to enjoy their dinner and it was made it even better when Justin and his dad got an extra entrée because they were given the wrong kind of fish initially. Fletchers sure do like free stuff.
![]() |
| Check out Grandpa’s condiment selection |
Mike picked up some Crumbl cookies for me since it’s in his neck of the woods and brought those tonight which was super awesome of him. We also did a quick Costco run before heading home so overall a very enjoyable evening and his parents really seemed to enjoy getting together.
A few more fun pictures from Carly’s adventures:
![]() |
| Carly took my old wetsuit |
Thursday [4/1]: Jason was off to his second day of school today and got up and off quietly enough that I didn’t wake up at all. Katie and Drew were eager to do their chores this morning so they could have a little tech time after their morning zoom meeting. Another beautiful spring day today. I spent some time today listening to some Easter messages and I’m still working on pictures from Hawaii so I’d love to get caught up on all of that.
Several months ago my friend Addy introduced me to SweeTarts Ropes and I’m obsessed. I’d hoped to pick some up at Walmart the day that Walmart was closed. Since I’d lucked out I bought some online and the last of them arrived today. I’m excited to try some new flavors!
Carly got home this afternoon from her trip and it seems like they had a really great time. Natalie (who chaperoned) is also my ministering sister and I was thrilled that they had stopped at Crumbl on the way home and brought me one of their sugar cookies with Cadbury eggs on top. So delicious. We are eating so many treats around here it seems.
As an April Fool’s joke I put our now empty Crumbl box from earlier in the week up in Carly’s room with a little surprise. That girl is tough to crack and I didn’t get nearly the reaction I’d hoped.
I made a huge batch of waffles tonight for dinner mainly because I spaced thinking of anything else in advance. It sure does make a difference when we have our meals planned out and the kids help with the cooking. Justin and I played Quirkle with KD before bed. Justin and I both are currently reading a book so we did that before calling it a night.
Friday [4/2]: I finally finished going through our Hawaii photos today which felt fantastic. I hoped that CJ and I would play tennis when Jason got done with school but Carly refused. Jason and I still went but shortly after we arrived someone showed up to play so we only stayed a half hour which isn’t long enough to get in much of a workout or practice very many skills. Since I was already in exercise clothes I decided to walk down to the elementary school and walk home with KD. I think they enjoyed the surprise of me showing up.
I had plans to make dinner but by the time I was cleaned up Justin and I were hungry enough that we decided to go to Infusion and take a advantage of our BOGO deal and let JKD fend for themselves. Carly was off with friends tonight. I spent some time afterward getting conference bags ready for tomorrow morning as well as getting some Easter stuff prepared.
I got a text from my friend Tara this evening saying that she saw Abigail on TV tonight at the BYU volleyball game. Not surprising. That girl is always attending something and seems to get involved in extra fun wherever she goes. At one game she and her roommate participated in a racing game during halftime. Living her best life that girl!
Saturday [4/3]: Conference weekend! We had a little intermission during the morning session so that KD could go out to the park across the street and participate in the Easter egg hunt with some of the neighbor kids. Katie sure did look so much older than the rest of them! I was happy to see that Justin, Carly, and Jason also came out to watch and it was nice to visit with the neighbors a little bit.
Carly, Jason and Justin also helped one of our ward members move after the morning session. Conference was great. I wasn’t intending on doing the mystery conference bags this time since it was also Easter weekend and all the candy that would come with that. But it was nice to have some snacks while we watched and fun for the kids to discover what’s inside each of the bags.
![]() |
| KD set up this table so they could color during conference |
I made cinnamon rolls this afternoon and couldn’t resist eating one today. So yum!
I also made some enchiladas and Mexican rice for an early dinner. We’d intended in spending time as a family tonight but instead Justin watched a bball game and then after KD went to bed Justin and Jason watched a show while edited photos.
Sunday [4/4]: The kids were super excited to wake up and see hidden eggs all over the downstairs. In fact they were so excited that they woke me up earlier than necessary. It’s always fun to watch them run around the house looking in every nook and cranny for a little plastic egg. Carly said that it was much less competition without Abigail here. Carly easily got more eggs than everybody else. The boys found the least.
After the morning session of conference I talked to the kids a little bit about what they would like to do this week for spring break. Jason suggested an arcade which of course is still closed so I mentioned he could create his own arcade type of event. I was meaning during the week however he got to work immediately and the first challenge was a SkipBo tournament. We were able to play a few rounds before lunch and watching the second session of General Conference. The kids watched all the sessions of conference which I think is pretty incredible that they’ve been doing that for a while now. Not sure exactly how much they get out of it but I appreciate their willingness to sit and participate with the rest of us. KD played some Conference Bingo with their Easter candy during the afternoon session today.
The SkipBo tournament resumed immediately after the afternoon session. After the tournament was complete we moved right on into a Nintendo Smash Brothers tournament as well as a Mario Kart tournament. I was grateful that Carly participated in all of the activities with us and we enjoyed having her. Justin and I went for a walk tonight after KD went to bed while Carly and Jason watched the fourth Harry Potter movie together.
































No comments:
Post a Comment