Friday, March 28, 2014

OUR HOME - the kitchen nook

Today marks three years that we’ve been in our house.  It seems impossible that it’s already been that long – years – three whole years!  We’ve slowly (VERY slowly) been making our home more homey by putting in our own personal touches.  It’s been hard for us to figure out what our style is so we’ve been very cautious as we make changes, paint walls, and purchase anything.  So far that has paid off and we have been very happy with our choices.  Even though we’ve only decorated a few rooms, I thought it would be fun to document what we've done. 

One of our biggest complaints about our Auburn home was that it had a teeny eating area.  When we were looking at houses a large kitchen nook was a must.  We even had our builder extend the back of this home by three feet to make the nook big enough to accommodate a large table. The first thing I started looking for when we moved here was a large round table.  We were still using a small table with four chairs and as a family of 6 (and now 7!) we had long since outgrown it.

(March 2011 – March 2012) - That wee one on the right is Little Miss Katie!


I was very specific in what I was looking for:  it had to seat at least 6 comfortably, I didn’t want a glossy or ornate finish, I wanted simple, casual, child-friendly and durable.  After searching over six months we finally found the PERFECT table.  Unfortunately, the manufacture didn’t have any in stock in the size we wanted so we had to wait another six months for it to be made and shipped from Argentina. 

I doubt anyone would be shocked that I had to make a template of the tabletop to make sure it was the size I wanted – yep, 71 inches would be awesome!

(September 2011) – Placing the order


The table was totally worth the wait - I still LOVE everything about it.  I’ve seated 12 ladies around this table at a luncheon, though it gets a little cozy when you get more than 10 seating around it.  I hope to have this table til the day I die, then my kids can fight over who gets to keep it.

(March 2012 – April 2012)


We waited until after we had the table to order chairs.  We actually went to Bassett and brought home some of the chairs they sell so we could pick the style and color we liked best in the actual room.

(April 2012 – April 2013)


At the same time I was looking for tables I was looking at wallpaper to cover the wall behind the table.  I almost rushed into buying a bold green pattern for a punch of color, but decided to wait until we bought furniture in the nearby family room.  (You can see the sample of wallpaper in the first picture).  I am so glad we waited.  Not only would the green have steered us in a different direction in the family room, but a new line of wallpaper came out that I loved immediately. 

We painted the walls and ceiling last spring and the wallpaper was installed.  It still needs some drapes and perhaps a fun light fixture, but we can be patient :)

(April 2013 – Present)

No comments:

Post a Comment