Friday, August 5, 2016

My Tribe {August 3}

The girls were off shopping with Grandma Fletcher all day.  So today was one of those days where I stayed home in loungewear checking tasks off the never-ending to-do list.  I like days like today.

This afternoon Tara texted me that Stephanie was in town and asked if I could come down that evening and hang out with the ladies. Thankfully the evening was free and I was excited to catch up with some of the Auburn gang.   

No need to get out of jammies when you're hanging out with some of your besties - though I did step things up and put on a bra :)

I was wearing the shirt Laura made for our Sunriver couples trip in May. 


When a couple of my friends asked what it said I didn't really get into the origin or significance of the quote but as the evening progressed I felt it's meaning so strongly. 

When I moved from Auburn five years ago I wasn't sure what would happen to those friendships. We'd lived there for 10 years but could those friendships remain strong with only a handful of get togethers a year?  Five years later, I truly feel those friendships have only gotten stronger even with those that have moved on to other states. Sure I may not be aware of the everyday goings on of their lives, but I feel a closer bond to them as women and friends.  Whenever we get together it’s just fits, no matter how much time has past, we always have a great time together. 

I was reflecting in this on the drive home (at nearly 3am!)  I've always felt comfortable with who am I and I don't think I've tried to be anything but that. However, somewhere in my mid-thirties I embraced who I am. There is a difference there between an acceptance and a love. I hope that doesn't sound like I had a low self-esteem cause that’s not at all the case. Of course I don't love everything about myself and certainly there are things I could/should change or improve, but I have never been happier being me. 

Which takes me back to the shirt.  It's been a tough week for me with Laura heading back to Texas and Camden moving to Georgia. These two ladies got me and loved me anyhow. I don't even want to think of them not being close by. Tonight was a gentle reminder that there are friendships that can last – I’ve been blessed with so many friends that I hope to cherish forever. I love my tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment