Katie was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints on April 14, 2018, her eighth birthday. Abigail had to work from 8-2pm that day
so we scheduled the baptism for 3pm.
Katie was so excited to be baptized. We’d talked about baptism for several months and she
confidently answered any and all questions as to why she wanted to be baptized.
Because her baptism was during spring break and smack dab in
the middle of the day (and because we’re tend to keep things on the down low
anyhow) we didn’t invite any friends or ward members. As the primary secretary I typically include baptisms
in the announcements, but I didn’t for ours. So we just had our family, both sets of grandparents and a
couple cousins in attendance.
Simple and sweet. Katie
wanted Abigail to play the piano, Jason to lead the music, Carly and Grandma Kesler
gave the talks, and Val and myself offered the prayers. Since Justin is in the bishopric he
presided, conducted and performed both the baptism and the confirmation.
It was a rainy day so we didn’t get very many pictures. Just as we were leaving the primary
president showed up, thinking she was early for the 4 o’clock baptism, when she
saw that we all heading to our cars instead of inside the church she realized
her error. The plus side was that
someone was there to get a picture of everyone that was at the baptism.
I took a couple more pictures at home under the cover of our
small porch, but didn’t get any of Katie by herself until the next day before
church.
After the baptism we all came back to the house for dinner
and cake. I have a friend that
recently started baking as a side job.
I’ve ordered macarons from her several times. Since I knew I’d be busy during the days leading up to
Katie’s birthday I asked my friend to make Katie’s birthday cake. It was the first birthday cake for my
kids that I didn’t make myself and I feel totally okay with that. It tasted great and saved me a lot of
time.
Katie had a wonderful birthday with the best gift being her membership in the church and the gift of the Holy Ghost.
It wasn’t until a week or so later as I was looking through my inbox that we discovered a fun birthday card sent to her from Grandma Kesler. Grandma always finds the funniest ecards that the kids want to watch over and over and over.
Happy Birthday Miss Katie!!










No comments:
Post a Comment