May 7: We spent the last several weeks (months?) collecting Monopoly pieces from Safeway. We don’t shop at Safeway often, but enough that we collected quite a few. Some cashiers would hand us an huge stack of playing cards when technically we were only supposed to get a few. I also had a friend give me all of her pieces when she found out we were playing. We ended up getting over $30 in gift cards or cash and lots of free groceries. The kids loved opening up the little packets. Today was the last day to turn them in so it was time to get busy. I printed out a sheet of paper listing all the pieces we were missing on the two boards we were playing which helped us sort through them much quicker. All hands on deck!
Tonight was Katie’s 4th grade concert. She was chosen to play percussion on one of the songs.
The video clip of her playing percussion is typical Katie. She tends to watch us watching her. Running up and down the basketball court – eyes on us, running down the soccer field to intercept the ball – watching us, playing a musical instrument – making sure we’re watching. Funny girl!
May 8: I shared this picture today on Instagram stories and asked if anyone else eats their candies in some sort of color balanced order. I have a very small following of followers but I was pleasantly surprised that 36% of those that voted agreed with me.
May 10: This morning was the annual Morning with Mom event at our elementary school. Katie and Drew were excited to have me go to school early with them and enjoy a donut and chocolate milk together. I enjoyed the donut, but regretted it 30 minutes later during my workout.
Katie also had an event in her classroom for Mother’s Day Spa this afternoon. Katie served me some snacks, gave me a crown to wear and very hesitantly rubbed my shoulders.
I always get a kick out of the kids answers to scripted questions:
I know you love me when: “You tuck me in bed”
I like it when you cook: “Mashed potatoes and chicken carrots and rice”
My favorite thing to do with you is: “Go on trips”
You make me laugh when: “when you surprise me”
You take care of me by: “Feeding me and buying me a house”
The class also took turns reading a section from the book “I’ll Love You Forever” – it was very sweet.
May 11: Our neighbor Jacquee sent me this picture of the kids from our street playing outside and eating otter pops - a normal occurrence around here. Katie and Drew really do have lots of playmates in our neighborhood, especially Drew.
May 21: While we were in Bali Drew’s class had a field trip to the library. I was a bit sad to miss joining him on the walk. His teacher sent a couple cute pictures of their class.
May 25: Carly was excited to finally get her driver’s permit. Her first drive was in the corolla in the parking lot of our elementary school. We started very basic and she did great. I think I even let her drive home around the neighborhood that same day. I can’t believe we already have another driver in the family.
May 26: Tonight after our Come Follow Me lesson we made a family tik tok video. Abigail and her friends have been really into them lately. It took us nearly an hour to put together a 14 second video clip - crazy. Clearly we weren’t concerned about our appearances as half of us are in our pjs (typical attire for after church on a Sunday). It ended up being a really fun activity for us to do together.
May 27: Today was Memorial Day and we spend a large chunk of the morning working in the backyard. So many weeds and moss to pull up. Abigail spent the day down in Auburn with old friends. In the afternoon we decided to head to Rattlesnake Lake to go paddleboarding. We loaded everything up – snacks, towels, chairs and boards. The lake was busy, but we found a little grassy spot to claim as our own. Only then did we find out that both of our pumps weren’t working so we wouldn’t be paddleboarding afterall. Justin was ready to throw in the towel and head home, but the younger kids still wanted to play in the lake. Reluctantly, Justin went down to the lake with them for a little while. The Ricks family from our ward ended up being there as well so Jason went out with Hyrum and Carly laid out with their older girls. Not being able to use our paddleboards was disappointing but thankfully the afternoon ended up not be a complete bust.
May 28: Jason’s final choir concert of the year was tonight. To our surprise Jason decided to try out for Jazz choir for next year. Trying out required him to sing a solo and he went for it and made it. Looks like we’ll have lots more choir concerts in our future. I’m proud of him for doing something uncomfortable and for having the desire to get more involved in something musical.
Jason’s on the end of the top row.














No comments:
Post a Comment