Monday, June 24
We started swim lessons this week for Katie and Drew. Drew’s level is a bit of a stretch. He seems to have forgotten a lot of what he learned last year, but it will be a good placement for him to push himself. Katie had her instructor to herself for most of the class which is always awesome. After swim lessons we went to Gap Factory to look for pants for Abigail to take to Africa. We bought a couple pairs but ultimately Abigail decided not to keep either one of them. When we got back home the kids had a huge stack of books to return to the library. So many books that they couldn’t even fit in the library bag and when we got to the library we had nearly as many books to pick up that the kids had put on hold. They are reading like crazy. Which is awesome.
We started swim lessons this week for Katie and Drew. Drew’s level is a bit of a stretch. He seems to have forgotten a lot of what he learned last year, but it will be a good placement for him to push himself. Katie had her instructor to herself for most of the class which is always awesome. After swim lessons we went to Gap Factory to look for pants for Abigail to take to Africa. We bought a couple pairs but ultimately Abigail decided not to keep either one of them. When we got back home the kids had a huge stack of books to return to the library. So many books that they couldn’t even fit in the library bag and when we got to the library we had nearly as many books to pick up that the kids had put on hold. They are reading like crazy. Which is awesome.
We spent the rest of the day doing things around the house. I worked on some primary stuff. By late afternoon the kids wanted to pull slips out of the Summer Boredom Buster Jar which ended up getting some additional little chores done around the house.
These are only some of Abigail’s shoes that were found lying around downstairs that she needed to take up and keep in her room. The girl has so many shoes!
Abigail was home most of the afternoon and in typical fashion was procrastinating getting things done for leaving on her trip to Africa tomorrow. By late afternoon she finally got around to cleaning out the van out which was what I had told her I needed to be done before she left. By the end of the day she was still had a lot of packing to do, but I left her to her own devices and went to a GNO with Sommer, Addy and Andrea. It’s always great to catch up with my ladies. We had a great evening.
Tuesday, June 25
We got to swim lessons early enough for Katie and Drew to play at the park for a few minutes. They love riding the zip line.
Tuesday, June 25
We got to swim lessons early enough for Katie and Drew to play at the park for a few minutes. They love riding the zip line.
Drew wore goggles for the first time today during his lesson. I try not to introduce goggles early on so my kids don’t think they are absolutely necessary in order to get in the water, but everyone else in his class had them and he was ready.
After swim lessons we came home and got Jason ready to go meet up his friend Hyrum to go biking. I took Katie and Drew with me to the gym. We got there later than we normally would so I had to cut my workout short because the kids club was closing. The kids wanted to play at the park anyhow so I walked around for about an hour while they played and it was a win-win for us both. While I was doing my laps Katie yelled at me to look up at the sky and we saw the coolest, most unique rainbow I’ve ever seen in my life. I posted a picture on my Instagram stories and asked if anyone knew what it was and my niece Caylee said that it was an iridescent cloud. A rare sight, and very beautiful!
Of course we also had to swing by the library before heading home. I thought we had just one book to pick up, but when Katie came back to the car she had a huge stack of holds that had come in. Again, these kids are flying through books this summer. It’s a good thing.
The rest of the afternoon and evening we stayed close to home to help make sure Abigail was doing everything that she needed to do to get ready for her first of three flights to Africa leaving late tonight. The girl takes after her dad and tends to procrastinate these sort of things and is not nearly as organized as I would prefer. It’s been interesting this week watching both her and Carly get ready for these trips. Carly is much more like me and Abigail is definitely much more like her dad. They both seem to pull it off and are very responsible but their methods are very different. Abigail was determined to get a pedicure before leaving so we squoze that in and I was able to redeem the gift certificate that she and Carly bought me for Christmas. Abigail and I left around 9:45 PM to head to the airport. I dropped her off gave her a great big hug, took a quick picture and she was off.
Thankfully, security didn’t take long and she was at her gate before I arrived home. I don’t quite understand why this trip of hers feels so much different than her being away from home so many other times. Maybe it’s a FOMO aspect of it where I wish I was with her doing these fun things, maybe it’s because she’s going on an international trip, maybe it’s because I won’t have contact with her for over two weeks, regardless it’s felt strange to send her off. We’re going to miss her.
Wednesday, June 26
After swim lessons I dropped Katie and Drew at home with Jason and hurried down to the YMCA to try a new class that they are running at no additional cost during the summer. While I was in class an unfortunate text debacle occurred. Jason texted me and asked if he could listen to an audiobook. I sent him a quick “no” from my apple watch. I didn’t want him putting in ear plugs and getting into a zombie zone where he wasn’t aware of what was happening around him since he was supposedly watching his younger siblings I followed that “no” up with a little explanation… “Need you to be helpful and aware if the kids need help with anything.”
Wednesday, June 26
After swim lessons I dropped Katie and Drew at home with Jason and hurried down to the YMCA to try a new class that they are running at no additional cost during the summer. While I was in class an unfortunate text debacle occurred. Jason texted me and asked if he could listen to an audiobook. I sent him a quick “no” from my apple watch. I didn’t want him putting in ear plugs and getting into a zombie zone where he wasn’t aware of what was happening around him since he was supposedly watching his younger siblings I followed that “no” up with a little explanation… “Need you to be helpful and aware if the kids need help with anything.”
Make sense, right. The unfortunate part is that that explanation text got sent to the mother of the boy Jason was hanging out with yesterday and my text of “need you to be helpful and aware” came across as a major criticism of her parental involvement. Yikes. What further escalated the situation is that for the next hour she was trying to call and text me to find out what had happened yesterday between our two tween boys and I didn’t get her frantic messages until an hour+ later. She was worked up and really upset. I felt terrible and explained the situation, but the damage had been done. Worst ever.
Today was the last day of contact with Abigail until July 12. It sure felt weird seeing my girls spread across the world (Abigail flew to Boston to meet up with her group). Justin was still in Kansas today too so that would be another little family dot in the middle of the country.
Jason started a basketball camp this afternoon with his friend Matthew through the high school team. His friends Dad took them but I was supposed to pick them up and I got stuck in terrible traffic on the way there. After we got home and cleaned up we watched Wonder Park and ate treats. Wonder Park was the movie we’re supposed to watch for Drew’s birthday but as it turned out it hadn’t been released yet. It was an OK show.
Jason built a fort in the bonus room a week or so ago and even spent several nights sleeping in it. This was also where he planted himself when we watched a movie.
Justin got home this evening and the kids were excited to see him before they went to bed. A day we didn’t go to the library, shocking. We’ll be there soon I’m sure.
Thursday, June 27
We ran a couple errands after swim lessons today, one of them into Ace Hardware where Katie spotted some reversible sequin clad stuffed animal toys. She really wanted to buy one with her birthday money but I encouraged her to wait till we got home to see if we could find it cheaper on Amazon. Turns out that that wasn’t the case so we will be returning soon so she can buy one. It’s very rare that one of my younger kids even touches their birthday money, they don’t really have many things that they ask for.
Thursday, June 27
We ran a couple errands after swim lessons today, one of them into Ace Hardware where Katie spotted some reversible sequin clad stuffed animal toys. She really wanted to buy one with her birthday money but I encouraged her to wait till we got home to see if we could find it cheaper on Amazon. Turns out that that wasn’t the case so we will be returning soon so she can buy one. It’s very rare that one of my younger kids even touches their birthday money, they don’t really have many things that they ask for.
This afternoon Katie and I had our summer lunch date and she chose to go to the local burger joint where we have a standing BOGO coupon.
Jason had his basketball camp this afternoon and Katie and Drew played outside in between thunderstorms. Like usual summer doesn’t officially start weather-wise until after we get to the Fourth of July. We made mashed potatoes for dinner tonight for Jason‘s requested monthly meal. The kids gobbled it up. I had book club tonight out at Addy‘s house. It’s always nice to get together with ladies and actually have some intellectual conversation. While I was there I had a phone call from Carly saying that she had cut her leg today by falling on a rock. She described it as bleeding a lot and a small, but really deep cut. The nurse at the camp gave her some band-aids and told her it should probably stop bleeding on its own. If not it would require a visit to urgent care. Hard to get a call like that and be useless. Not much I can do from 1000 miles away.
Friday, June 28
I woke up to a text this following morning at 5 AM from Carly saying that her cut wasn’t closing up and that she was likely going to need to go to urgent care after their rafting trip and possibly get stitches. All morning I waited for an update which I finally got in the early afternoon. Urgent care apparently told her she was missing some tissue and that they wouldn’t be able to close it up but that it should naturally close on its own. So hard to be away from your kids when something like this happens because I don’t fully know the situation or how best to proceed. It’s basically out of my hands. She said that it wasn’t very painful and she seem to be not too upset about it. Thankfully she was able to participate in all the activities this week, hopefully she can keep it clean and not risk any infection from being outdoors and having just gotten off of a likely dirty river rafting trip.
Friday, June 28
I woke up to a text this following morning at 5 AM from Carly saying that her cut wasn’t closing up and that she was likely going to need to go to urgent care after their rafting trip and possibly get stitches. All morning I waited for an update which I finally got in the early afternoon. Urgent care apparently told her she was missing some tissue and that they wouldn’t be able to close it up but that it should naturally close on its own. So hard to be away from your kids when something like this happens because I don’t fully know the situation or how best to proceed. It’s basically out of my hands. She said that it wasn’t very painful and she seem to be not too upset about it. Thankfully she was able to participate in all the activities this week, hopefully she can keep it clean and not risk any infection from being outdoors and having just gotten off of a likely dirty river rafting trip.
Katie and Drew finished up their session of swim lessons today. They could both use some additional practice on the skills that they are have been practicing this week so we decided to sign them up again next week. I don’t mind the swim lessons but it does throw my regular morning schedule out the window. I dropped them off at home and headed to the gym to get in a workout. Because we’re seeing Toy Story 4 tomorrow I told the kids that they could have a Toy Story movie marathon today. So they watched the first two movies this morning and early afternoon before we needed to take Jason to his basketball camp. While Jason was at his basketball clinic we went to the park and to the library (of course). After we got home we had yummy taquitos with rice with Justin and then watched the third
Toy Story movie before bed.
Saturday, June 29
Toy Story 4 this morning with littles. Then we went into Bellevue to fix my phone with ghost touch issues. For the last week or so it’s been possessed, like having a phone with a mind if its own. Opening apps, links, typing letters, totally out of control. Thankfully it was covered by Apple. While my phone was getting fixed we decided to go out to lunch at Maggiano’s. Jason had this on his radar for his summer lunch date on Monday, and since we were already in the area I didn’t want to have to go out to Bellevue later so we decided to do it while we were there. This was a special treat as none of the three younger kids had ever been before. Maggiano’s was offering brunch since it was the weekend so I was able to I branch out and try something new instead of getting my regular. When we got back to the Apple store my phone still wasn’t done but the kids enjoyed playing games on all the devices around the store. Because of the repair I needed to get a new screen protector on my phone so we swung by the T-Mobile store and got sucked into a current promotion they have when you add a line you get a new phones for free. Getting that taken care of took the rest of the afternoon. I rushed off to Costco while Justin finished up there and then we had no choice but to head straight to the airport and cram Carly and Madi in the car with all of our groceries. It was good to see Carly and hear about her adventures. She had such a great time at the AFY!
Sunday, June 30
Church was great today. We had both a missionary speaking who has recently returned home and a missionary who is just now heading out. Definitely a noticeable difference between the two of them as far as their ability to share the gospel and in their maturity of presenting. So crazy that we could be sending off a missionary here in the next couple years as well. It was nice to have a relaxing day at home today. We played several games with the kids, had a come follow me lesson, and Carly made a double batch of delicious cadberry egg cookies or all of us to enjoy over the next few days.
Toy Story movie before bed.
Saturday, June 29
Toy Story 4 this morning with littles. Then we went into Bellevue to fix my phone with ghost touch issues. For the last week or so it’s been possessed, like having a phone with a mind if its own. Opening apps, links, typing letters, totally out of control. Thankfully it was covered by Apple. While my phone was getting fixed we decided to go out to lunch at Maggiano’s. Jason had this on his radar for his summer lunch date on Monday, and since we were already in the area I didn’t want to have to go out to Bellevue later so we decided to do it while we were there. This was a special treat as none of the three younger kids had ever been before. Maggiano’s was offering brunch since it was the weekend so I was able to I branch out and try something new instead of getting my regular. When we got back to the Apple store my phone still wasn’t done but the kids enjoyed playing games on all the devices around the store. Because of the repair I needed to get a new screen protector on my phone so we swung by the T-Mobile store and got sucked into a current promotion they have when you add a line you get a new phones for free. Getting that taken care of took the rest of the afternoon. I rushed off to Costco while Justin finished up there and then we had no choice but to head straight to the airport and cram Carly and Madi in the car with all of our groceries. It was good to see Carly and hear about her adventures. She had such a great time at the AFY!
Sunday, June 30
Church was great today. We had both a missionary speaking who has recently returned home and a missionary who is just now heading out. Definitely a noticeable difference between the two of them as far as their ability to share the gospel and in their maturity of presenting. So crazy that we could be sending off a missionary here in the next couple years as well. It was nice to have a relaxing day at home today. We played several games with the kids, had a come follow me lesson, and Carly made a double batch of delicious cadberry egg cookies or all of us to enjoy over the next few days.









No comments:
Post a Comment