June 1: Jason wrapped up his spring basketball season today. Our rec league puts together co-ed teams for the younger ages during the spring, but they haven’t organized middle school aged teams in past years – I suspect they think most kids would be hesitant to play with the opposite sex at that age. Our friend Mike Gibbs has coached Jason and Mike’s daughter, Aubrey in the past and I mentioned to him that Jason asked whether they would be forming a co-ed team again this year. Mike was apparently interested and reached out to the rec department, who then reached out to the parents to gauge interest and a co-ed sixth grade team was formed.
Sadly I didn’t attend a single game all season (they were all early in the morning) so the above photo is the only one we have. Boo.
Katie attend our stake activity day camp last night and most of the day today. I love that our stake does this for these young girls each year. Justin attended with her last night as her adult buddy for a sort of family history activity. He was also able to catch the end of the camp dance performance on Saturday.
Katie had lots of fun participating in archery, crafting a key chain, cake decorating, coloring her t-shirt, etc…
June 5: Looks like the kids had lots of fun at young tonight!
And no the chalk did not wash completely out of their clothes.
June 9: Justin and I were only home a few weeks before we left the kids once again for a long weekend on the coast with friends. They ended up congregating in our room after we got home. That’s Drew’s little wolf-socked feet sitting with me. I sure love them.
June 10: Katie had a “field trip” to the park near our house today and I offered to “chaperone” – Katie was thrilled to have me join them for the day. My chaperone duties including walking with the kids from the school to the park. Katie led the pack – she climbs that beastly hill every day so it was no big deal for her. It was a beautiful day and the kids enjoyed playing field games, eating lunch and playing on the play structures. There were a few parents I knew and visited with, but three hours was a tad bit long in my opinion.
This afternoon we got our fence repainted thanks to a letter of compliance from our HOA. Turns out our fence was painted the wrong color initially so we had to switch it for the required shade of beige for our neighborhood. The kids enjoyed watching the painters do their thing.
June 11: Drew’s kindergarten graduation was this afternoon. I was prepared for a crazy amount of people to be there based on the attendance at his concert recently but it wasn’t too bad – I got their early and had a decent enough seat. When he left for school I noticed Drew was looking pretty grubby – an old Seahawks t-shirt, tall colorful wolf socks and athletic shorts. He was cool with that so so was I. We don’t make a huge deal out of all these “graduations” the kids have and I don’t think Justin’s attended a single preschool, kindergarten or fifth grade graduation. This was the best picture I got of him walking down the aisle.
Here’s a few clips of the songs they sang. I thought the twist they gave the song New York, New York was quite adorable.
June 12: Snow Lake has been on my want-to-hike list for years and today I finally got it done with Sommer and a new friend Rachel. I think I found my new favorite local hike! It was still early in the season so the snow kept us from going all the way down to the lake, but it was stunning and I hope to return again this summer.
June 13: Katie was awarded the “Most Likely to be a Teacher” award in her class.
I just noticed (over a month later) the comments Katie’s teacher included on her final report card…
“Katie is an incredibly strong student. She excels in mathematics, reading, and writing. She has the ability to learn something once, and completely master it after some practice. She is a thoughtful learner, always making sure to follow all of the directions, and put her full effort into her work. I have loved watching her push herself this year when she was challenged with difficult math problems or writing assignments. Besides being an amazing student, she is a joy to be around. She always keeps me in check and makes everyone laugh. She is very kind and thoughtful. I can definitely see her as a teacher someday.”
I think the bit about “she always keeps me in check” is her teachers way of saying Katie can be a bit bossy and will be sure to point up proper protocol if it ever appears to be in question. Much like at home as well. This was Katie’s teacher’s first year teaching and she was amazing. All kidding aside I know her teacher appreciated Katie’s willingness to help.
June 14: Drew was invited to a neighbor girl’s birthday party today at a bouncy house. Our neighbor Cooper (in the middle) sent me this picture. Man, I have such a cute little boy!












No comments:
Post a Comment