Monday, July 1
We started our second week of swim lessons today with Katie and Drew. Jason and Katie also had piano lessons today after which Jason and I went out for his summer lunch date. Because we hit Maggiano’s on Saturday he chose Qdoba for lunch today. Bonus is that I had two free burritos so lunch was totally free. We ate quick enough that we were able to run a few errands before going to his doctor’s appointment to get all of his forms filled out for school and scout camp next week. My boy is off the charts for his height (just shy of 12 years old and already 5’ 6.5” tall). I had a moment during the appointment where he was sitting on the table and the pediatrician was listening to his heart and he had his legs folded up and he just looked so big! These kids just keep growing up! It was an enjoyable afternoon with Jason we had some fun conversations and it felt very light and enjoyable for us both. These summer lunch dates really are so great for me and the kids really enjoy them as well.
We started our second week of swim lessons today with Katie and Drew. Jason and Katie also had piano lessons today after which Jason and I went out for his summer lunch date. Because we hit Maggiano’s on Saturday he chose Qdoba for lunch today. Bonus is that I had two free burritos so lunch was totally free. We ate quick enough that we were able to run a few errands before going to his doctor’s appointment to get all of his forms filled out for school and scout camp next week. My boy is off the charts for his height (just shy of 12 years old and already 5’ 6.5” tall). I had a moment during the appointment where he was sitting on the table and the pediatrician was listening to his heart and he had his legs folded up and he just looked so big! These kids just keep growing up! It was an enjoyable afternoon with Jason we had some fun conversations and it felt very light and enjoyable for us both. These summer lunch dates really are so great for me and the kids really enjoy them as well.
Today was the first day the kids could claim their prizes at the library for completing the summer reading program of 1000 minutes. The prizes this year were lame in comparison to last year (Wild Wave tickets). They were able to choose a cheap little prize from a prize box this year. Drew chose a little container of slime which somehow ended up in Katie’s hair that afternoon. We needed to pull out the scissors to undue that mess.
This evening I got together with my friends Andrea and Addy to watch a show together and visit for a bit before Addy leaves for a month long trip to Utah. She was in our ward on Sunday to listen to one of the speakers and shared with me her recent diagnosis of breast cancer. This is my fourth friend with breast cancer in the last few years and there’s been a few more from our ward and prior ward. So scary how common it is becoming.
Tuesday, July 2
Today was the first day of EPIC. Carly doesn’t necessarily love this gig but it’s good money and she can basically make her own hours so she can still take babysitting jobs and work around the various trips and activities she has during the summer. The hope is that Jason will at some point be able to take this over. Though it’s funny because Carly started this when she was 12 and seemed to be much more mature, hard-working and detail oriented than Jason is at this point. But today he was incredibly helpful so hopefully things will work out well where he can assist her this year without too much frustration on either of their ends.
Tuesday, July 2
Today was the first day of EPIC. Carly doesn’t necessarily love this gig but it’s good money and she can basically make her own hours so she can still take babysitting jobs and work around the various trips and activities she has during the summer. The hope is that Jason will at some point be able to take this over. Though it’s funny because Carly started this when she was 12 and seemed to be much more mature, hard-working and detail oriented than Jason is at this point. But today he was incredibly helpful so hopefully things will work out well where he can assist her this year without too much frustration on either of their ends.
Here's the ad I placed on the neighborhood Facebook page this year:
So far (late July) we have a total of 64 containers this summer.
While they were cleaning containers at home I went to the gym and got in an elliptical workout. Midway through I decided to try and break a record from last summer. It took an hour and 45 minutes but I got it done. I felt awfully sluggish the last month or so so it was nice to remind my body that I can do hard things. That doesn’t mean that I didn’t come home and eat several cookies afterward. Which kind of negates a lot of benefits from the workout itself, but I have difficulty resisting delicious treats. We had waffles tonight which was basically a dessert for dinner when you add nutella and a bunch of strawberries and bananas on top. We decided to watch the Harry Potter movies together (Justin, myself, Carly and Jason) and got through the first one this evening. Katie hasn’t yet read the books yet so she had to watch a different show downstairs with Drew.
I was up late tonight texting Justin’s sister Tami. A photographer that we have used several times in the past always has a half off promotion the first couple days of July. Earlier today I bought gift certificates for Abigail’s senior session and for a family session next spring. It was later this evening that the thought came to my mind that we could take advantage of the sale and get a picture of the entire Fletcher family together next week when Tami is in town. By some miracle the photographer had a change of plans and instead going on vacation will be in town and she was totally willing to meet with us next week to take some pictures for us. We haven’t had a picture taken since Jason was one or two years old so Katie and Drew didn’t even exist at that point. As nice as it will be to have an updated picture of the thought of coordinating outfits with three different families and 14 people sounds miserable. I’ll have to figure that out soon.
Wednesday, July 3
Drew’s swim teacher this week has been so much better than last week. He is getting so much better and the fact that there’s only been two kids in his class is a huge perk. Today he scored and had the teacher all to himself. It was fun to watch him get so much better and gain some confidence and skills in the water.
Wednesday, July 3
Drew’s swim teacher this week has been so much better than last week. He is getting so much better and the fact that there’s only been two kids in his class is a huge perk. Today he scored and had the teacher all to himself. It was fun to watch him get so much better and gain some confidence and skills in the water.
Back home Carly was wrapping up the last of her trash containers for this week. The kids and I worked on getting the house cleaned up this afternoon. I told them that I didn’t want to have to do any cleaning on Friday so the goal was to have the house clean today before the holiday. It always seems that I have to spend a considerable amount of time on my birthday cleaning up after all the holiday mess. It’ll likely be that way again this year but it will be nice to have things straightened up a little bit. Tonight we watched the second Harry Potter movie.
Thursday, July 4 – Independence Day
I woke up early today to attend the 8am cycle class at the YMCA before all the festivities begin. It was a hard class but it was nice to be outside and get it done. The community party started at 11am and we stayed until it ended at 2pm. Carly left shortly after we got there and went to a friend’s house to hang out. The rest of us enjoyed bouncy houses, rides, free popcorn and cotton candy and sodas.
Thursday, July 4 – Independence Day
I woke up early today to attend the 8am cycle class at the YMCA before all the festivities begin. It was a hard class but it was nice to be outside and get it done. The community party started at 11am and we stayed until it ended at 2pm. Carly left shortly after we got there and went to a friend’s house to hang out. The rest of us enjoyed bouncy houses, rides, free popcorn and cotton candy and sodas.
The weather was comfortable - not too hot, not too cold - and there was much fun to be had! We had a little bit a time back home before our neighborhood party started at 3:30. The party was held at the little park across the street from our house. Carly stayed inside the house and skipped the entire thing. Our street mostly has younger age kids that fit more Katie and Drew’s age group. The kids had lots of fun letting off fireworks and eating good food. Someone brought a corn hole game to the park which was fun to play. Jason has some serious skills and was able to keep up with most of the adults there as well.
We left the street party around 8:30pm to head down to the large community park by the YMCA for the big firework show. As usual the firework show was awesome.
Drew’s feet after a day outside playing
(the checkered pattern is from the dirt getting in through his native shoes)
We thought everyone on our street would already be done for the night by the time we got home at 10:30pm but they still had several fireworks left so Jason, Katie and I sat outside with the neighbors and watched them light off a few more fireworks before calling it a night.
Friday, July 5
This morning wrapped up Katie and Drew’s second week of swim lessons. Katie passed and is moving up to level four, Drew is progressing so much and is close to passing level two. Both of them have enjoyed these last two weeks of lessons so much that they asked to take lessons next week as well. I agreed and signed them up for next week.
Friday, July 5
This morning wrapped up Katie and Drew’s second week of swim lessons. Katie passed and is moving up to level four, Drew is progressing so much and is close to passing level two. Both of them have enjoyed these last two weeks of lessons so much that they asked to take lessons next week as well. I agreed and signed them up for next week.
I needed to get invoices sent to each of the words in the stake for young women’s camp so the kids had some technology time after they got their chores done. This is my fifth year keeping tabs on the young women camp finances. Jason asked if there was something he could do to earn money so I introduced him to cleaning window seals. He didn’t mind the task, but he only did two windows and called it good.
Justin was working late and when it was close to 7pm and we still hadn’t had dinner I decided to have Carly drive me out to North Bend so we could pick up some Jersey Mike’s sandwiches. I figure I shouldn’t have to cook dinner on my birthday. Justin made it home in time for us to have some Cold Stone birthday cake that he had bought and then we (F, H, C, J) watched the third Harry Potter movie.
Saturday, July 6
Justin ran his first half marathon race today and accomplished his goal to finish in under two hours.
Saturday, July 6
Justin ran his first half marathon race today and accomplished his goal to finish in under two hours.
I also fit in a workout at the gym. Justin ended up having to work again today. After Carly got home from babysitting in the afternoon we went to Pizza Hut to redeem some $2 calzones from weekly T-Mobile Tuesday app and run to Costco before it closed. Cheap dinner for the win!
Carly led us in a CFM lesson this evening and it went really well. I’ve been feeling like we really need to get our kids more involved in the teaching of our lessons each week and today was proof of that. Justin and I went for a walk in the evening, but his legs were sore from his race so his pace was super challenging for me to maintain.


















No comments:
Post a Comment