Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hawaii – Day 7: Blackrock & Ziplining


The Sheraton has some of the best snorkeling on the island right in its backyard.  Saturday morning we gathered all our snorkel gear and took turns exploring the underwater world around Blackrock.  Justin walked out with Carly and I as we got started and just yards off the beach was a huge sea turtle.  He had Katie with him so they walked out til they were only feet away from the turtle.  Carly and I followed the turtle around for awhile and then ventured around the tip of Blackrock.  We saw so many varieties of fish, and even happened upon another turtle or two – and I’m nearly positive I saw a stingray along the bottom.  Lesson learned: next time bring an underwater camera.  It was really amazing.  I had a great time swimming along side Carly holding hands.  The time flew by and before we knew it we’d been out nearly an hour. 

After spending all morning snorkeling and hanging out at the pool, it was decided that Justin would take the big kids ziplining and I would stay back at the hotel and let Katie nap.  They didn’t have much time to get there so we quickly gathered up all our stuff and headed up to the room to get dressed.  Apparently, we either left some snorkel gear at the pool (though I remember putting everything in our bag) or maybe it was stolen – but sometime, somewhere Justin’s mask and snorkel and an additional set that we had rented disappeared.   Add to this that my mask broke when two unnamed children were fighting over who got to carry it – makes for quite the hit in our snorkel gear.  Thankfully, the gal at the snorkel shop took pity on us and didn’t make us pay to replace the lost rental equipment, but we still need to replace both Justin and my nice scuba masks.  Lesson learned:  always, double and triple check that you have everything when gathering up swimming gear.

There are a handful of ziplining locations in Maui – Justin decided to take them to the only location that would allow Jason to go at only five years old – which also happened to be the least expensive.

Justin must have found this praying mantis extremely interesting because he had about a dozen pictures of it on his phone.


All geared up

And ready to “hang loose”

The girls first run


The kids had a blast.  Justin said it was definitely a beginner’s course so it wasn’t incredibly thrilling for him, but a great first experience for the kids.

1 comment:

Ben and Carrie said...

Ok- I am totally jealous of the zip lining! I have always wanted to go. And taking your kids- you are the coolest parents ever. I am definitely taking my next Hawaii trip with the Fletchers. Do you need a nanny?? :)

The videos of Jason on the zip line were the cutest thing I've ever seen.

You should have borrowed our waterproof camera! We bought it in Hawaii when we went just for that purpose. Lesson learned.... always ask Carrie first. :)

Post a Comment