Carly’s tenth birthday was on Tuesday. We
woke up that morning to the fire alarms blaring through the house “FIRE!”
“FIRE!” “FIRE!” Justin went into
work a little late that morning and had prepared biscuits and gravy for
breakfast. Apparently the sausage
he cooked up early for Abigail was a little well done and our fire alarms are
ultra sensitive. A memorable way
to start the day for sure.
Carly had her arms full that
morning as she walked to the bus with her science fair project and a container
full of Cadbury egg cookies to share with her class (our family will forever be
grateful to Chrystie for introducing them to us years ago). Carly decided she wanted to attend
activity days after school (her last with the younger group) so instead of
having a family get together at the house we decided to keep it simple and easy
and meet up with Justin’s parents at Red Robin right after her activity.
After dinner we came home to
enjoy her birthday cake. Carly
requested a minion cake and it was one of the easiest birthday cakes I’ve made
– no shaped pan or excessive piping required. When I finished frosting the cake I sent Justin a picture
and asked if I should change the minions mouth from a smirk to a smile.
Justin, of course, said I
should change it to a full on smile.
Adding a smile and a mouth full of teeth wasn’t as easy as it would
seem; I immediately regretted making the change and thought our minion turned
to the creepy side, but I didn’t want to end up making a bigger mess so I left
it. Carly doesn’t have much of a
filter so I knew she’d be honest when she saw it – thankfully she was pleased.
Carly at 10…
Carly is affectionate. She initiates hugs and kisses (with
Justin and me, not as much with her siblings – except, of course, Drew)
She continues to be the most
willing to help with Drew and when the girls are babysitting Carly will usually
take on the most responsibility with Drew.
Carly likes to get her hair
done and cares about fashion.
She’s not necessarily picky and doesn’t care about name brands, but you
can tell she puts some thought into what she wears.
I recently discovered she’s a
fantastic hand massager. There
have been a few Sundays during sacrament meeting that I’ve bribed her into
rubbing my hands by paying her $0.25 for every 5 minutes.
Still loves to play the piano
and will sit down to practice several times a day. She likes the volume up loud though so I feel like I’m
constantly getting after her to turn it down.
Carly is very responsible and
gets her homework done independently.
We’ve gotten several notes from her teacher this year that Carly is
above and beyond in her math skills and continues to master each concept her
teacher challenges her with. She
continues to look forward to Tuesdays when she gets to participate in the
highly capable program at school.
Our ward probably has a dozen
girls her age; however, Carly seems to narrow in and really only befriend of
few. She’s not unfriendly to the
other girls, but there’s only a few she has really clicked with. She’s got the type of personality that
she’d happily be alone rather than to hang out with someone she wasn’t really
interested in.
Carly is also quite selective
with what she reads. If she finds
something she loves – currently the Harry Potter series – she will often read
for hours. However, we have
shelves and shelves of books that she doesn’t have any interest in giving a
chance.
We encourage the kids to pack
healthy lunches. Carly really
takes time packing her lunches and usually does a great job making healthy
choices. She’s gone through phases
where she’ll take peppers for a whole week, she also takes carrots, cucumbers,
oranges and apples. Carly
is our least picky eater (thankfully we don’t have any real ‘picky eaters’) the
only things we could think of that she doesn’t like to eat is tortellini and
asparagus.
Carly doesn’t keep the cleanest
room, which annoys her slightly less messy older sister. Although she makes her bed most
mornings.
Welcome to the double digits
Carly – We LOVE you!



3 comments:
Happy Birthday Carly! She looks so grown up in that bottom picture with the cake. And your welcome for the cookies....now I need to make some!
Great job on the cake!
Your cakes are amazing. I'm always so impressed. Chloe had a great time at Carly's party. Thanks for thinking of her.
Post a Comment