Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Boston {Day 3}

I was on my own all day Wednesday.  I took the subway over to Harvard and walked around campus.  I found the old buildings and iron gates interesting and it was fun to see the students change classes and fill the sidewalks. No doubt I looked more like someone's parent rather than a student. 


In celebration of Harvard’s 200 year anniversary there were quotes from well known graduates around campus.  This guy looks familiar.


The Memorial Hall was my favorite - so beautiful! 


I also went to the MIT campus, but didn't explore much of the campus and instead walked along the waterfront.  It was a pretty day, but still very cold.  Since we didn't see Bunker Hill the day before I decided to walk the two miles there.  This walk wasn't nearly as pretty as much of it was walking along a major freeway.  Bunker Hill was cool - I didn't know you could actually climb up inside so that was fun surprise.  I started out jogging up the stairs, but didn't make it up very many of the 274 before I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain that kind of enthusiasm.  It wasn't a difficult climb, but not one I wanted to jog up.  The views up top were fantastic. 


I loved all the homes surrounding the monument.  Such beautiful architecture in Boston. 


I followed the Freedom Trail back into town stopping along the way at several historical sites. 

Copp’s Hill Burying Ground 
   
Old North Church & Paul Revere Statue 

Once again Tripadvisor did not disappoint and I picked up a sandwich at a little deli, which I enjoyed at a quaint little table outside Paul Revere's home. 
   

By now I'd already walked over 10 miles so I headed back to the hotel to relax for a bit until Justin got out of his meetings.  Tonight there was free admission into the Boston Fine Arts Museum so of course we had to go.  It is a huge museum and Justin wanted to see everything.  Not that he's a huge art fan, but we didn't want to miss anything.  We spent two hours there and I found it equal parts fascinating and a bit boring.  Some stuff was super interesting and some others not so much.  Glad we went though for sure.  A little culture never hurt anyone.  We took a ton of pictures, but I’m going to just post a select few as a sampling.

Monet

Vincent van Gogh

I was surprised how much I liked being able to walk into fully decorated rooms of the past 
   

We also visited the Boston Public Library tonight and hands down it is the most beautiful library I have ever seen.  I think I actually gasped when we walked into Bates Hall - absolutely dreamy! 


We hadn't eaten anything yet and many places were already closing down for the evening so we decided we'd stick with one of our favorites and ate dinner at Maggiano's which was right around the corner from our hotel - so yum! Added bonus was that Justin had a coupon so we got to share a delicious butter cake for dessert.

I hadn't really adjusted to Eastern time yet and it was a good thing because each evening it seemed I was on the phone tying up things back home while Justin was snoozing.  Tonight at 12:42am EST I got a text from our sitter saying she couldn’t watch the kids the next afternoon/evening and asked if I had a backup.  Um, No!  So I went into scramble mode texting all the college age kiddos I could since I knew it was a busy night for most of the girls’ friends.  When I didn’t have any lucky I texted my friend Sommer who was just getting off a plane from their family vacation, to see if her daughter could babysit.  At nearly 2am EST I finally had a backup plan in place and was able to call it a day.

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

Wow, sorry you had so much trouble with your sitter, what a pain!?! The library looks cool, I've never been in there before! I'll have to try it next time I'm in Boston.

Post a Comment