Thursday, June 21, 2018

BYU Father & Sons Sports Camp {May 25-28}

Way back in January, Brandon Rowley, a neighbor/friend/ward member, emailed Justin about a popular BYU sports camp that he wanted to get a group together to attend.  Apparently the camp has been held for over 20 years and has become so popular that last year all the spots were filled within 30 seconds.  This year they changed the registration process to a lottery system.  Justin and Brandon both applied.  Brandon got in and Justin didn’t.  That is until late April when BYU reached out to Justin and told him they had a spot open if he wanted it.  The original plan was to drive down together; however, Brandon had since decided to purchase a car in Utah so they were flying down and driving the new vehicle back. Justin decided to do the same so we booked Justin and Jason a one-way ticket to SLC with points.  Here’s Justin’s recap of the weekend…

(According to Justin)

Day 1 - Jason and I started the day super early with a 6am flight from Seattle to Salt Lake City.  We used the convenient public transportation options, Trax and the Frontrunner, to get to Provo where Brandon Rowley and his boy Tommy picked us up.  We went to Mooyah Burgers, Fries, and Shakes, and then we went to the BYU Store and walked around campus, which brought back so many memories for me. 


Registration was at 3pm at the Cannon Center where they had lots of inflatables.  I was not successful in convincing J to take a pic with the cheerleaders.  We got our keys to our Helaman Halls dorm room and settled in across the hall from the Rowleys.  Next was dinner in the Cannon Center where Jason made ~8 visits to the ice cream machine. 


Orientation started at 6:30.  The BYU basketball team hosts the camp so Coach Rose and a few others had some opening remarks, after which we headed to our first rotations.  We were counseled not to be heroes, or in other words, don't get injured.


#1 - 3 on 3 (SFH)- The boys and dads were split up here.  I liked the competition of playing against the other dads.  I tweaked my ankle right off the bat but it didn't tighten up too much until the next morning.  This might have been Jason's least favorite rotation, probably because I lost pretty badly.
#2 - 1 on 1 (SFH) - Fun warm ups then one on one drills, again the boys and dads were split up.
#3 - Shooting Contests (SFH) - Another split activity, after which Jason and I were wondering when we be would be participating together.  
#4 - Gymnastics - Jason and I both loved this rotation, especially the foam pit.  One of Jason's top 3 for the weekend.  I swung so hard on the bars I ripped the calluses on both of my hands.


Jason and I wrapped up the very long day with a walk to Swig.    


Day 2 started with an early breakfast at the Cannon Center, a camp meeting, and then our rotations.

#5 - 5 on 5 (RB) - My ankle really tightened up over night so I got it taped and sat this one out.  I thought back to my old roommate Rylan who was a student trainer back in the day.  Jason's team rocked this rotation so he loved it.
#6 - Shooting Station - drills with members of the BYU basketball team
#7 - Football Skills - punt receiving and throwing footballs


Pizza Factory Lunch on the Football Practice Field

#8 - Marriott Center Tour - cool experience to shoot hoops on the MC floor and check out the locker room.
#9 - Basketball and Agility Skills at the Marriott Center Annex


#10 - Baseball and Ultimate Kickball on the Miller Park Baseball and Softball Fields - Jason and I teamed to hit a homerun on the baseball diamond and win some candy.  He hit it far enough off the T for me to hit it over the fence


#11 - Lavell Edwards Stadium Tour - The football players got the boys all riled up in the locker room, took them out through the tunnel and onto the field where I skunked Jason in the tackling drill and he fell down when I caught him
#12 - Flag Football on Hellman Fields


#13 - Ultimate Frisbee - We mixed up dads and sons against dads and sons.  Lots of fun.  Another of Jason's top 3.

BBQ dinner was at the stadium where we got to meet Elder Rasband.  We hung out on the field most of the evening and took in the Rockets-Warriors game on the big screen.  Jason finished the day with over 33K steps, his personal record.


Day 3 was highlighted by a chartered bus trip to Temple Square where we listened to Music and the Spoken Word, a special Memorial Day edition, followed by sacrament meeting in the Assembly Hall. We were taught by Coach Rose who focused on being optimistic. Then Elder Rasband titled his message "C'mon Pa" and encouraged the sons to keep the dads moving in the right direction. Lunch was at the This is the Place park. Later that evening we attended a fireside by Jeremy Guthrie, former MLB pitcher. It was great to hear such uplifting messages on Sunday and throughout this camp and I hope they continue to resonate with me and Jason.


Day 4 had an awesome start as we woke up early to hike the Y with Chad Lewis former BYU and Philadelphia Eagles tight end and a few busloads of other campers.  Chad gave an inspirational message and the hike was followed by Cannon Center breakfast and a short camp meeting 


#14 - Pro Day - vertical jump, 40 yard dash, standing broad jump    


#15 - Soccer - Jason loved this rotation.  He scored a pretty awesome goal and also reviled in intercepting multiple passes meant for me.
#16 - Spikeball on the South Field where the soccer team plays

J-Dawgs Lunch in the Smith Field Annex


After lunch, we packed up and headed home with Brandon who had purchased a car in Utah.  It was a long drive home.

Overall the experience was pretty amazing.  I am really happy to be able to do this with Jason.  Jason and I had a lot of time to talk throughout the weekend.  I was able to share some experiences and show him where I lived, went to class, met Holly, etc.  This time is certainly something I expect to remember and I think he will too.   I got a taste of the dorm experience I never had and we got to play sports together all over BYU.   Really just a wonderful weekend hanging out with some awesome father son combos.... so glad we got to go together. Can't wait till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment