The evening of Tuesday, May 29, the night before Justin and
I left for Sunriver, Jason approached me about needing to bring in some
Columbian food on Friday for his project.
When I asked what project he was referring to he explained he’d selected
the country Columbia to do a research project on. Everything was due on Friday. I hadn’t seen him working on any project. He assured me he’d done a lot of it at
school on his google drive. He dug
out a crinkled up packet of paper from his backpack that explained the scope of
the project and I about died. He
had to put together bits of research that added up to 100 points. For example,
10pts if you write about the countries transportation, 10pts if you bring in
native food, 10pts for drawing the country flag, etc… All of this had to be displayed on a tri-fold poster board
and presented to the class, and parents on Friday. There was an RSVP attached to the paper that was to be
returned to the school by May 24 – nearly a week ago. Clearly Jason knew about the project for ages. This was all news to me and I was
leaving town in just a matter of hours.
I told him he needed to find out first thing in the morning if the presentation
board was being provided at school and if they would be putting it together
during class. I found a recipe for
arepas online – technically a Venezuelan dish, but at this point that was close
enough. I went to the store to get
the needed masa flour and that was the extent I would be able to help him pull
this thing together. He wasn’t
concerned at all. Stating again
that he had a lot of it already typed out on his google drive. I couldn’t bring myself to take a look
at his research thus far because the I knew the perfectionist in me wouldn’t be
able to handle what I found. I
washed my hands of it and decided this would perhaps be a lesson learned for
Jason.
Jason sent me a text the following afternoon, just after
we’d arrived in Bend and told me we needed to get the display board
ourselves. Thankfully I have a
daughter with a driver’s license so Abigail had to put her studying for finals
aside and take all the littles into Issaquah to find a presentation board. Bless her responsible heart. Apparently Jason didn’t “feel” like
working on it that night, which I found out after he’d already gone to
bed. I told Carly to wake him up
early the next morning, before she left for school and tell him to get moving! I think our sitter was able to help him
get everything printed out so he could start piecing it all together. I told her to keep him home from early
morning band practice so he could really make some headway. He was able to finish it by working on after
school and into the evening. Our
sitter had to wake him up early again on Friday and help him make the
“Columbian Arepas” to take to school for the cultural feast.
In the end it all got done and to my surprise he ended up
getting a 4 (exceeds expectations) on it.
I think his teacher liked that he picked Columbia because she’s taking a
two year teaching position there starting in the fall. I wish he would have chosen a country
that we will be visiting this summer, but he sure does look up to Miss V so I’m
not at all surprised.
Jason is a smart kid for sure, but he’s a touch lazy and a
clearly has a tendency to procrastinate.
Heaven help us both as he enters middle school in a few short months!
And since we’re posted about Jason’s school projects here’s
a couple I recently took pictures of since they are too big to fit in his file
folder.
Jason chose this lion piece as his favorite and displayed it
during the school art show. The
lion on the left depicts the “realist” and the lion on the right depicts
“stylized”
This one was painted for a musicians theme in art
The back of this piece was labeled “20th Century
Art” but when I asked Jason about it he said it was about “feelings”




No comments:
Post a Comment