Today was my 39th birthday. Justin had donuts from my favorite
local bakery on the counter for us when we woke up. The rest of the day was pretty ordinary. I have a really low bar when it comes
to birthdays and it pretty much met that.
I spent a lot of the morning putting the kitchen back together after a
whirlwind holiday weekend – I did about 6 loads of laundry since we’d taken so
many blankets to the fireworks the night before. In the afternoon I attacked the backlog of pictures on my
computer, determined not to get too behind on documenting our summer. We had a groupon for dinner at an
Italian place on the ridge that was expiring next week so Justin and I decided
to go out for dinner. It all felt
pretty ordinary which was a kind of a bummer. It was nice to receive birthday
texts/messages throughout the day.
Sommer sent me a super thoughtful text while we were eating dinner. I’ve always thought my love language
was acts of service, but by-golly her text made me realize I like words of
affirmation too.
Sommer’s
birthday is just three days after mine so we’re planning to go out this weekend
and celebrate. Having a birthday twin is pretty awesome – we’ll have to kill it
next year when we both turn the big 4-0.
I remember as a kid it was always hard to have a birthday party because
so many people travel over the 4th.
I remember one year I was giving my close friend Susan the guilt trip
for going on a family vacation. I
remember telling her that NOBODY was going to be able to come to my party. She felt so bad she tried to convince
her parents that they needed to cancel their vacation.
As Katie pointed out at the end of the day there
was no birthday cake but while we were out at dinner Abigail must have taught
Drew the Happy Birthday song because my sweet boy sang me a little tune before
heading off to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment