Our first visit from our new
home teachers was the Sunday before Thanksgiving. One is a 15 year old young man from the
ward, the other a father of three twenty-something sons who are all off to
college and/or married. He brought
with them a Thanksgiving tradition his family still carries on every year even
though they may not spend Thanksgiving together. Before explaining it to us he asked what sort of traditions
we have for Thanksgiving and to be honest I was stumped. We have a few traditions centered around
some of the other holidays – primarily Christmas, but Thanksgiving? The kids rattled off various foods we
eat each year, but that wasn’t exactly what he was looking for. He was looking for the “Thanks” in our
Thanksgiving. He gave us a
posterboard with a turkey taped to the front and several sheets of paper feathers
for us to take turns taping to the turkey as we each write specific things we
are thankful for this year. The
night before Thanksgiving we finally had time to work on it together and I’m so
glad we did.
Hopefully we will continue to
focus a little more on our blessings each Thanksgiving instead of just filling
our bellies.
With that said – on to the food…
we had our friends the Andros’ over for Thanksgiving this year. We’ve only had experience cooking one
turkey before so we needed a yummy recipe. I found a recipe online {here} that sounded great, but
wasn’t as easy as just stick it in a bag and pop it in the oven. Justin said he was willing to take it
on and it turned out wonderfully.
I’m not much of a meat eater, but even I had a second helping of turkey
this year.
We fit 9 of us around our
kitchen table with the “triplets” at the kiddie table.
I didn’t do good taking pictures
of the feast itself, but there was so many delicious foods and desserts.
Carly and Chloe enjoying round
one of dessert
Ben grabbed my camera and took
this picture of his lovely wife doing all the dishes.
After the kitchen was in order
the men folk crashed on the couch.
Miss Katie took quite a liking
to Ben and was at his side much of the evening.
Ben even let Katie play on his
fancy iPhone
We ate, played games, watched
football and visited til hours past bedtime.
It was a wonderful, relaxing and delicious Thanksgiving – thanks Andros family for spending the day with us.











1 comment:
We had such a good time- thanks for inviting us. That turkey really was fantastic. I'm still thinking about it. All of the food was wonderful- well done. And thanks for always letting us stay hours past bedtime- we always over do our welcome.
I loved your "Thankful" turkey board. And tell Jason that now I too am thankful for Subway Surfer. :)
Post a Comment