Tuesday, May 12, 2020

COVID Day 59 – Sunday, May 10 (Mother’s Day)

Mother’s Day isn’t a holiday I necessarily look forward to – like my birthday it seems to be quite ordinary – and that’s okay. In truth my lack of pomp for holidays probably causes my family to not make much of them.  I do love that Mother’s Day has become an opportunity to reach out to the women in my life and let them know that I appreciate their love, examples and friendships. Women lifting women.  Which I guess makes sense because unless you’re a mother I don’t think it’s easy to understand what we go through in raising our kids – it’s often a hard, thankless job – but truly the best job ever.  I really do mean that and I hope my girls will understand and feel that someday when they have families of their own.

I took advantage of the quiet morning to connect with some friends via text then came down to the office to find this thoughtful sign on my computer from Katie.  Glad to see I haven’t raised kids that are completely unable to express any of their thoughts and feelings.  

(My office is a disaster!  I need to add that project to my to-do list)

Abigail taught our CFM lesson today after we partook of the sacrament and then we had plenty of leftover pizza for lunch.  It’s rare for us to get EVERYONE to sit down and play a game together but that happened this afternoon with the classic Clue game.  We even played more than once.

several of us started using binders to keep our cards secret

It was nice to visit with my Mom on the phone this afternoon.  I am grateful for her example and for the sacrifices she has made for me and my siblings. This being a parent thing doesn’t end when your kids reach adulthood.  Apparently I still enjoy her words of encouragement and her love and support was needed today.  We sure wish we could see her more often.  

A mysterious cake appeared in the fridge last night but nobody said a word about it or answered me when I asked about it. It made its unboxed appearance on the kitchen table at dinnertime.  The kids had written little notes of appreciation and stuck them onto the cake with toothpicks. I’ve been dropping hints about wanting a Nothing Bundt cake for a special occasion for well over a year so I was excited and appreciated the sweet gesture.


Carly and I watched two more episodes of our show tonight – another late night, but we’re just about done with season one and then we’ll have to wait for the next season to be released.

  • May 10: Confirmed cases in Washington state – 17,122 with 945 deaths.  

No comments:

Post a Comment