Wednesday, June 3, 2020

COVID Day 80 – Sunday, May 31

Jason was sleeping in this morning (Abigail and Carly were as well, but that’s the norm) so we delayed sacrament until after he woke up.  While we waited, Justin and I worked on the puzzle with Katie and Drew.  Justin was asked to take the sacrament to a new, single sister in our ward at 11:30 so didn’t have enough time after sacrament to have our CFM lesson.  While Justin was gone, KD & I raced to finish the puzzle before he got back – we did and then moved onto Legos.


Carly prepared paninis for lunch and Drew got to be the waiter and walk around the house taking everyone’s orders.  They were very good.


Jason come up with a fun idea for a puzzle competition.  Everyone would complete the same 300 piece puzzle and we would award prizes for the two fastest puzzle-makers.  First prize would get $20 to spend at the grocery store and second prize would get $10 to spend at the grocery store.  If Justin or I are first we get awarded two hours of family game time and for second place we get one hour of family game time.  Carly was the only one reluctant to participate but I think she has a really good chance of winning a prize.  We decided I should go last – everyone thinks I’ll take first place, but I’m not so sure about that.  Justin bet that I would end up beating his time by half.  Everyone else’s name was put in a hat to figure out the order.  Justin was up first, then Abigail, Katie, Drew, Jason, Carly then me.

Justin finished in 1:24:42

Then Abigail finished in 1:10:58


Just as Katie started Justin and I headed out on a walk.  I figured if we were gone about an hour we’d get home before she finished the puzzle.  


I was SHOCKED when Abigail called and reported that Katie had finished in 38 minutes! This was after it had taken both Justin and Abigail over an hour.  Talk about pressure!  Jason and I felt it after that killer performance.

Drew started strong but after an hour I asked if he wanted some help and he gladly accepted. Since I hadn’t had my turn yet Justin and Katie helped Drew finish in 1:36:40.  Jason completed the puzzle in 1:01:34


And then Carly in 1:21:21 

It was after 10pm when it was finally my turn to perform and the pressure was ridiculously high.  Even just turning over all the pieces seemed to take too long.  I felt like I was doing well, but knew I wasn’t fast enough. Justin and Abigail came down after 40 minutes and told me I’d lost my chance at first place and taunted me with a losing picture. 


At that point I knew I could pull off a second place finish but was still mind-blown how Katie could’ve finished so quickly.  It’s important to note that both Katie and Jason have done this puzzle before.  Not recently, but they had an advantage already being familiar with it.  The rest of us weren’t allowed to even look at it before it was our turn to put it together.  Even without Jason winning a prize he declared that it needed to be a monthly tradition.  If our teenage boy actually suggests a fun activity to do as a family I feel like we need to jump on it.  In the future the puzzle will be new to everyone and the order of participation completely random.  It was such a fun activity and I’m so glad Jason thought of it!


  • May 31: Confirmed cases in Washington state – 21,977 with 1,124 deaths.  Our stay-at-home order officially ended tonight at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment