Thursday, March 26, 2020

COVID Day 1 - Friday, March 13 (“Friday the 13th”)

Today we started to adjust to our new norm.  There’s a lot of discouragement as we are facing the likelihood that the remainder of Abigail’s senior year has been hijacked. We are disappointed that the girls likely won’t have a tennis season this year. Abigail has been taking lessons each week and is ready to kill it on the courts; however, it doesn’t look like she will have that opportunity. We also just bought each of the girls a nice new racket so that kind of sucks. In addition there’s a lot of questions regarding how much homeschooling is going to be taking place and how the schools will prepare the students for AP tests or if those AP tests will be canceled. Of course the economy has taken a hard hit financially. Just a lot of unknowns at this point. Abigail approached me this afternoon and asked if she and her friends could go to the skating rink down in Auburn. Skating rinks are not known for their cleanliness in the first place so that was a hard no from me.  

My workout buddy Andrea wanted to avoid the YMCA this morning so instead of going to class we met up at the local golf course to go on a long 7 mile walk. It snowed on and off all day today. So strange, but fitting for the strange circumstances we’ve found ourselves in.  A fitting start to our 6 week spring corona-break.


Justin has his “office” setup in our master bedroom.


I think this afternoon was the first time that I have watched any speech given by President Trump. I can’t say that I felt a lot better after listening to him address our nation and declare a national emergency. I also didn’t like the way that the media tried to find fault during the question time. I feel like this is a time in which our nation needs to be putting politics aside and working together to figure out what would be best for the safety of our people. I was impressed with the game plan of setting up drive-through testing centers and partnering up with some big companies like Walmart to make that happen. Most of my kids also sat down and listened to the President for a while. It was strange.


Justin and I typically go out to eat on the weekends and so we decided to go ahead with that tonight. We had a mystery envelope at Maggiano’s which ended up being a free dessert. That combined with our BOGO offer made it a pretty inexpensive dinner. 

The butter cake at Maggiano’s is divine!

The restaurant was much less crowded than it typically would be on a Friday night and it was obvious that they were trying to space out the diners to go follow social distancing guidelines. We also decided to redeem two of our free cheesecake vouchers at the Cheesecake Factory.

I thought canceling school for six weeks yesterday was shocking but the news I got this evening made it even worse. I went online to check the status of some of the books we had requested from the library and found out that as of 6pm all of the libraries were closed through mid-April. My three youngest spend hours a day reading books so we are frequent library goers. So the thought of spending six weeks at home without any books was devastating. I suppose I should’ve suspected that they would close the libraries but I thought there might be some type of warning beforehand. However, I understand why it wouldn’t have been wise for them to send out announcements because they would have been flooded with people grabbing anything that they possibly could, which would have been a madhouse and definitely not within line of social distancing. Unfortunately, I had just returned most of everything that we had checked out so I was very disappointed.

After Justin and I got home I went right to work in the kitchen making pies for PI Night tomorrow. I probably spent about four hours in the kitchen tonight baking.

  • March 13 - President Trump declared a national emergency. Governor Inslee said all Washington schools will be closed until April 24, so the first day back would be April 27. The previous announcement of school closures was only for the three counties in the state hit the hardest.  The Washington death count went from up to 37 from 570 cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment