My goal today was to start journaling the events of the coronavirus thus far, which took much longer than I would’ve expected. These last few weeks have been a ride! It seems like nearly every day there’s been some big changes or announcements that have impacted our lives and the routines of our family.
Since schools have been closed around the nation there has been federal funding provided for school districts to provide meals for kids. Our district announced that they would be starting these meals today and stated that it was for anyone regardless of income level. The more I thought about it the more I felt good about utilizing the service and decided to send Carly down with the kids at the tail end of the shift and if they still had food left over we would be doing due diligence by not having it go to waste. We participated in these programs when we lived in Auburn when they had them during the summer and it was strongly encouraged that families show up for the meals so that the area could continue to get the funding necessary to provide them. We are a family that has a lot of grocery needs so this can be a helpful resource for us as well.
Our city closed all of our parks today to prevent people from congregating there and risking the spread of COVID-19. So surreal to watch them tape off the little park across the street from our house.
This afternoon I went hiking with my friend Andrea and Kari. These are two of the strongest women I know and not knowing exactly how difficult the hike would be I was a little nervous about whether or not I would feel like an old lady trying to keep up with them, but it was actually quite perfect. I led the pack on the way up and kept a good clip and it was a wonderful four miles visiting with friends about all of the recent events. There were actually more hikers and bikers than I expected but with the beautiful weather you really can’t blame them and when you’re outside in nature it should be quite easy to keep your distance from others.
When I got home Katie was itching to go on a little bike ride around the neighborhood which was great because I’m encouraging the kids to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. We biked a few of the trails nearby but kept it pretty low-key. It felt fantastic to be out in the sun with my girl. Jason and Drew still need to get out and do some exercise (Abigail had gone hiking with some friends this afternoon) so when Justin finished work he took the three littles to a park to shoot hoops. While they were gone I had 30 minutes that were noticeably much calmer and quieter than the past week has been. I was able to catch up on some scripture study and have some quiet time in my room which has been taken over by Justin‘s work during the day. We had a very late dinner, but there’s not much use to having a strict schedule now days. Tonight I caught up on some blogging of our recent Hawaii trip. When it was close to midnight Carly got some disheartening news of a friend in a unsafe family situation that was leaving town first thing in the morning. It’s so heavy to see your kids suffer and have to face some of the harsh realities of terrible things that happened in the world.
- March 18 – Johns Hopkins University confirmed coronavirus cases topped 200,000 worldwide. Grocery stores started to limit the number of people allowed in at a time. Washington numbers increased to 66 deaths from 1,187 cases.



No comments:
Post a Comment